Duckling surprise!!!!! Road trip hatch pics.

duckyfromoz

Quackaholic
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Australia
Since August my Pekin duck Crumpet has been laying- and sitting- and breaking her eggs- and laying and sitting ...........- All the while I have also been incubating some of her eggs as well. Last time she started sitting I didnt record the date- and when she got down to her last two eggs in the nest- I took them and covered her nest as we also had a forecast for extremely hot weather, an her nest was in a particularly bad area on hot days.

I had just gone to bed- it is 1am here- and then I remembered I hadnt checked the eggs tonight. Well I am certainly glad that I did as I found one of the two eggs has a little beak in the airsac.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

My best calculations said that they werent due until next Wednesday.. I must have been wrong.
Hope I see two pip holes in the eggs by morning.

Last edited:
Congrats and I hope the little babies make it! Also, how old is the pekin? I was thinking of getting Sunny a mate...not now, but someday. She flattens her self out every morning she sees me now. Makes me think she's a little lonely and wants love.
roll.png

Crumpet is not far off three years old now. She had hatched out a few ducklings over the last few years. Usually she only gets broody twice a year- but this time- she must be very determined to have babies.

I will hand raise these ones, and let Crumpet sit on the eggs she is laying at the moment.

AS far as a breeding age- it can be dependant on seasonal factors as well as age, but the majority of my ducks have all been laying by 30 weeks old, some quite a lot sooner.

I am at work now- so I have to rely on updates from my daughter- but nothing new to report- They are soooo slow sometimes arent they?????

My daughter just rang to say she sees both eggs cracked now.... YAY some progress!!!!!!

These are my last for the season- so in some ways I dont want them to hatch yet- as they will be the last babies I have for 6 months. But there is also part of me well and truely ready to turn off the incubtor for a while.

Back
Top Bottom