duckling temperatures

TriskeleFarm

Chirping
Jan 28, 2020
Hi all... I got three ducklings in a "surprise" box of chicks from a hatchery, and they're doing great with my larger chicks from that box. However, I'd read that they prefer it a little cooler than chicks. They are 5 days old now, and seem to be good, but I'm worried the room and lamps might be getting too warm for them. What is a good temperature for them to have while they're babies?

Ducklings shipped with chicks, I bet that was a surprise! the temperature that ducklings need to have available to get warm, drops more rapidly than it does for chicks. by the time they're 7 weeks, they only need a spot that's 55F. Roughly 12 degrees a week, but I no longer have the specifics. However, if you have a single heat lamp, and put it at one end of your brooder, the chicks can stay under it while the ducklings might prefer to spend more time at the far end. Or if you have a heat source at each end, the ducklings might prefer to stay near the center where it's several degrees cooler. Like chicks, ducklings will pant if they're extremely hot. There are other differences, like the ducklings' need to put their bills into the water and eventually their whole head in the water, but I think for now you'll be doing great for them to try to give them a less-warm spot in the brooder. Good luck!

thank you! they are in a big baby pack n play with a single heat lamp at one end. the room itself is quite warm, so if I see them get hot in there, I can just move them to a separate cage in the room, away from the heat lamp. I just wasnt sure what to monitor for. Thanks!

Dang. The video won't post so here's a pic

Attachments

• 20200225_180810.jpg
    20200225_180810.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom