Duckling tips and tricks?

Elenour

Hatching
May 5, 2021
Hello!!
My father brought me 2 sweet ducklings almost a week ago and I am very very inexperienced when it comes to feathery companions.
So! I'm finally here to learn more about what to avoid and what to not do, so bear with me if I've listed things I shouldn't have done. (I'm still new to this :()

Anywho, as I mentioned earlier, I have 2 ducklings and from the looks of it.. it's a male and female.
Regarding what I feed them, I got duckling feed a day ago and they haven't been eating much from it. I suppose they don't like it?
For this past week I've fed them bread (I know you shouldn't do that),, lots of greens, boiled egg (they only go for the yolk),, rice and tomatoes. I think they've gotten used to that, hence why they're not so excited when I bring them their feed?
Just to be extra safe, I add a small amount of water in their feed so they don't choke on it and I also provide a bowl of water along with it.
Is it safe to mix their feed with some eggs so it's more appetizing? Or should I feed each and every thing separately?
As for where I put these lovelies, their home at the moment is our balcony. We live on the 5th floor and I've come to discover that having 2 ducklings inside will cause a huge mess. (They poop so much!)
We're going to expand the area a tad more so, space shouldn't be a problem for them.

I've noticed that after they finish eating and preening they refuse to take a nap unless it's on me. I don't want to jump into conclusions quick but.. I think they imprinted on me? They always beep whenever I'm out of sight, follow me around all day long, nap in my presence and always have to be snuggled in my arms. While it's the cutest thing ever, it's quite exhausting and I feel like they've become very clingy! Is there a solution for this or do I have to wait til' they've grown up?

I think that's it for today!! I don't think I have any more questions.
Answers and tips are greatly appreciated!

Non medicated Chick starter with nutritional yeast powder in it will work just fine along with broken up dried meal worms. ( I just put them in whole as they break them up) . They will thrive on that . add a pinch of sand, as Ducklings, ducks and all birds need grit to digest their food.

Back
Top Bottom