1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling w/ broken bill..Any hope?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrairieFarmer, Sep 7, 2011.

1. PrairieFarmer

PrairieFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Have about a one month old duckling that somehow broke it's bill. (How can they even do that?). Bottom bill. It's bent backward, maybe takes up about 1/4 of the whole bill. I can flip it back straight but it doesn't stay.
    Anything to be done or just put it out of it's misery? We've got it with deep dish of wet mash food for now.

2. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Poor thing! We've raised a lot of ducks, but never had that happen before. If it can eat and drink, I'd give it a chance. I wish I could help you more - Good luck.

3. PrairieFarmer

PrairieFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Bumping this up. Little guy seemed to have eaten all his wet mashed food last night (and there was a lot!). Any ideas?

4. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    can you post a picture?

Maybe you can super glue it and splint it somehow until the glue dries or just hold it in place?

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Is the broken part, in your opinion, still living tissue? I have heard where doctors use superglue with great success for injuries, maybe it would work on a bill......

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I vote glue. I think nail glue, for fingernails, has fewer really bad things in it that can be absorbed. I don't know if surgical skin glue will be hard enough if you can find it.

If he's eating and drinking give him a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by