Duckling waterer?

Last year I hatched goslings and made them a waterer out of a gallon jug. I drilled 1 1/2 inch holes approximately two inches above the bottom (2 inches from the bottom of the hole to the bottom of the jug) Saved from them splashing water out and let them put their beaks in as far as they wanted. If I can find a photo I'll post it.

I got a waterer just like that (but with a glass jar) for some babies this year. After a few days -- it wasn't big enough, and they made a huge mess. It wouldn't even last overnight by day 4 or 5.

I think after trying a couple things, it seems that a tupperware/resealable container with holes cut in the top, or a gallon jug with holes in the sides is about the best thing. (i just used a razor blade). You don't anything the ducks can get IN. or they will waste all the water and make a huge mess.

Gallon jug is pretty easy, and cheap. You just get a new one and cut new holes and move them higher as they grow. Here's mine today (ducks are 18 days old).

I prefer it as it's easy to fill up quickly too. So i can fill it a few times a day quickly as needed, and clean it once.

You want them to be able to get their head and neck in, but not their body.

My first ducks i thought i could use a BOWL of water. :gig

We did have one of the giant version of those (3 gallon) which worked well in their outdoor pen when they were a little bigger - it would last about a day.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-04 162109.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-04 162109.png
    392.2 KB · Views: 12
hi,
My duckling are scheduled to hatch May 21 and when they do I want to be ready! So my question is is it okay to use the same waterer that I am using for my chicks? I know that ducks need to clean out their nostrils but do ducklings? Here's a link to my chick waterer:https://www.amazon.com/M-Z-Automatic-Containers-Drinkers-Chickens/dp/B07HF117LZ/ref=sr_1_17?crid=15ZW7933UU1KE&keywords=chick+waterer&qid=1651690593&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=chick+,lawngarden,520&sr=1-17
I used the same waterer for my ducks as chicks. Just make sure you clean it really well! Soon, you'll probably have to upgrade it to a small bowl when the ducks grow big.

@Miss Lydia has a good pic example

You can just use like a Rubbermaid/Tupperware container and cut a hole in the top.

You can also just cut a hole in side of milk jug.

As they get bigger their waterer will change. The one you posted wouldn’t work for long so why waste the money.

@Miss Lydia has a good pic example

You can just use like a Rubbermaid/Tupperware container and cut a hole in the top.

You can also just cut a hole in side of milk jug.

As they get bigger their waterer will change. The one you posted wouldn’t work for long so why waste the money.
I did that with my TSC duckling way back in August and one time it cut their little neck. so I am never doing that again.

Back
Top Bottom