Duckling wing development and panting

ceedublu

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
We recently rescued a couple of Pekin ducklings, and I have some concerns about their development. They came to us at two or three weeks old, and we have no idea how they'd been cared for or fed (they were purchased from a local farm supply by a young woman who wanted them as pets, but didn't have anywhere to keep them). We've had a small flock of adult ducks for a few years, but I don't have a lot of experience with ducklings.

The wings on both ducklings appear (to me) to be drooping. They will often raise their wings onto their backs, only to have them droop, then they raise them again, and they droop. The drooping is slightly more pronounced on one duckling -- and her wing feathers stand out slightly from her body, which has me a little worried about angel wing. The wings on the other duckling rest a bit higher and closer to her body, but she may be at a slightly different stage in her development. I've posted some photos that show the positions of the wings and angles of the feathers. I'll try to post a video of the drooping/lifting.

Also, one of the ducklings often pants heavily when at rest, even when out of the sun on a mild day. There's no indication that her nostrils are clogged, and they have good access to clean water. She's vigorous and eats well. I'm wondering if this is indicative of a respiratory problem or some other issue. I'll try to post a video of the panting as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4302.jpg
    IMG_4302.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4304.jpg
    IMG_4304.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4392.jpg
    IMG_4392.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    682.6 KB · Views: 31
I dont have much advise on the panting. Hopefully someone can chime in on that. If it were me I would add some savachick electrolytes to their water and monitor his drinking to see if that makes a difference.

As far as the wing question, I've always noticed my ducklings wings drooping a bit when they start feathering in. I figured that the blood feathers have some weight to them that the ducklings have to get used to. And, like in your video, when the wings start dropping they pick them back up. Eventually when they build up the strength this stops. None of my ducks have any wing issues now as adults. In fact, almost all of them can fly short distances a few feet off the ground 😂

We recently rescued a couple of Pekin ducklings, and I have some concerns about their development. They came to us at two or three weeks old, and we have no idea how they'd been cared for or fed (they were purchased from a local farm supply by a young woman who wanted them as pets, but didn't have anywhere to keep them). We've had a small flock of adult ducks for a few years, but I don't have a lot of experience with ducklings.

The wings on both ducklings appear (to me) to be drooping. They will often raise their wings onto their backs, only to have them droop, then they raise them again, and they droop. The drooping is slightly more pronounced on one duckling -- and her wing feathers stand out slightly from her body, which has me a little worried about angel wing. The wings on the other duckling rest a bit higher and closer to her body, but she may be at a slightly different stage in her development. I've posted some photos that show the positions of the wings and angles of the feathers. I'll try to post a video of the drooping/lifting.

Also, one of the ducklings often pants heavily when at rest, even when out of the sun on a mild day. There's no indication that her nostrils are clogged, and they have good access to clean water. She's vigorous and eats well. I'm wondering if this is indicative of a respiratory problem or some other issue. I'll try to post a video of the panting as well.
Swimming is a good way to help with drop wing

Thanks to everyone for the advice. The ducklings are doing well, and their wings are no longer drooping. I suspect their feathers were developing more quickly than their muscles.

And you are right. When flight feathers start coming in they are full of blood and are heavy it takes time for the muscles to get strong enough to hold them up, so they let them droop then they will fold the up then they droop again.
Bless you for rescuing them and giving them a good home. :love

Get them a deep pool like this if they don't have pond access... Great for everything..I adopted these 2 and it took them a month to figure out how to climb the bricks to get in... Tiny duck brains

Attachments

• 20210707_132419_HDR.jpg
    20210707_132419_HDR.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom