Duckling with a hurt or possibly broken neck...

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
One of my muscovy ducklings broke or sprained its neck last night. He/she can however move it slightly. Whenever I pick it up, its' head hangs there, but whenever I let it sit and I observe it moving, the duckling will actually move its head around and look.

I have it upstairs in my kitchen, on top of a counter on a heating pad. I feed it and water it, which it both eats and drinks. It has no problem going to the bathroom whatsoever.

Is there anything I should or could do to make it as comfortable as possible?

Thanks.

Oh I forgot to add that I felt the neck, and I felt no sort of break in it...
hmm.png

Sundown, it doesn't seem to be in pain. She is always peeping and wagging her tail whenever I visit her.
If I honestly thought or felt she was in pain, I would put her out of her misery, but at this point in time, I can't see myself doing that.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Well, she died.

She somehow got on her back, and when I got to her she was dieing.
She basically died, I revived her.

Then, within minutes, she died again...
sad.png

In my hands...

Last edited:
Oh. Im so sorry! I had a salmon favorelle chick that wasnt growing. She was about 6 weeks old, when I went out to check on her, she was laying in the bottom of the coop, almost dead. I picked her up and held her as she passed away.
hugs.gif

My duck has a wond on his neck and he won't rIse his head very high like normal-it's not hanging. He's drinking but not eating. I'm hoping the wound will heal and he will get better-any suggestions? I watered done some chicken scratch and he drank a little of it. He waddles around following the other duck:( I feel so bad for the little guy.

Welcome, my ladiies, can you tell us what happened? Was he attacked, or get into an accident?

The wound needs to be kept clean, and away from flies. I would get him into a clean safe place with good bedding and lots of fresh water, an unbreakable mirror so he won't feel so alone.

I would rinse the wound with either saline solution or Vetericyn four times a day.

This thread may give you some good ideas for what to do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/940378/very-injured-duck-in-need-of-help

You could also post over on the duck thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

i have ducks and the same thing happend to one of them
hit.gif
so sad about it i was crying for 1 hour

Last edited:
Just wanted to say my duck is great-we vet wrapped it for a long time and eventually put her back with the other ducks and she healed:) thank you God!

Back
Top Bottom