Duckling with a neck issue

Dcn6579

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
I am a little new to the duck/duckling world! I recently purchased some ducklings from a local feed store. They are all healthy, cute little babies but one has an issue with its neck! It keeps its neck turned to its right side. It can turn it to the other side to eat, drink, and occasionally to clean itself. I have been giving him supplemental vitamins but i have seen no improvement since i brought him home. Looking for any suggestions or advice to help this baby.

Sounds like she has wry neck, which means you're on the right track as far as treatment. It can take weeks for wry neck to turn around, so don't give up. Other signs of wry neck include turning in circles, so look out for that. I would go ahead and pick up some Poultry Nutri-Drench at your local feed store. I've used it to successfully treat wry neck in ducklings before. You could also use poly-vi-sol without iron, which you can get at a drugstore. Carefully give her a few drops orally once or twice a day and she should start to improve. Like I said, it can be slow, so don't give up!

i had the very same thing i got some from tractor supply it started like that but within 2 weeks one leg stopped growing and then the other leg did and it ended up crippled and was fine other than that but come to find out a little kid got it by the neck at the store and i guess did something

well this was last year and he died he drowned he somehow got to the other ducks water and i guess he couldn't wiggle out

Thanks to you all for all your suggestions and help! I have been giving her poly vi sol with out iron since the day I brought her home! I haven't really seen any improvement but she's not getting any worse either! So after your comments I feel a little better knowing that this can take time for improvement!

My question now is do I continue with only the poly vi sol or should i also try a day or two with plain niacin?

The poly vi sol has 8 mg per dropper full! So what I have been doing is giving her a drop or two twice daily and putting 5 ml (half a dropper full) in the water that her and siblings share! So far I have been unable to find plain niacin this morning, going to check the stores for brewers yeast later today. But not sure at this point how much to use.

Back
Top Bottom