Duckling with Angel Wing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoyAnna, Oct 22, 2014.

1. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    One of my Ancona ducklings has angel wing. She (loud quack when I catch it) will be 7 weeks old on Saturday. The other three hatchlings are fine. With the help of my neighbor, I have tried to wrap her four or five times and she gets right out of it. I have read the thread and instructions started by Celtic Farms but I haven't been able to follow each step in the wrap. I also finally watched the video of the guy wraping a plucked chickn wing held in a vice which was a good anatomy lesson, but that bird can never pull the thing off [​IMG]

The only vet near me that treats ducks (which is good to know) would charges $89 just to examine her — way out of my range. I think Celtic Farm's method would work but I cannot seem to understand each step in the wrap in order to get that figure eight that looks so secure. I've gone through a whole role of vet wrap and fastened it with duct tape. The only other suggestion I have not yet tried is the panty hose (but who has any of those in their drawers?).

Does anyone know of or could create a more detailed drawing or explanation of the best way to wrap. I sure don't want this Little to live with this for life.
    Thanks for any help, JoyAnna

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe try something like this it may work it worked for this duckling.[Panty Hose]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Millbrook, Ontario
    My Coop
    Panty hose, what an awesome idea! Sure works better than vet wrap!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by