Duckling with bad leg

Jstkiddn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 30, 2008
Not sure if I should post this here or in the general duck forum, but maybe mods will move it if it's in the wrong place.

Received ducklings from McMurry last Wednesday. Saturday we noticed a problem with one of the blue swedish babies. There are 16 total in the brooder and the way they all move around together as a group, I guess it's possible it came in that way and we just never noticed it......or maybe something happened to it after it arrived? Not sure.

I'll try to describe this best I can.

One of it's legs just doesn't seem to work. It's leg just stays in the same position it would be in if the duckling were laying down....if that makes sense. It's little webbed toes are sort of like one would be making a loose fist.

When it moves around, it just sort of scoots around using it's good leg. The bad leg doesn't seem to move at all. My daughter named the poor little guy Scooter.

It looks normal (except for the "fist" of toes) and nothing seems swollen or broken. It looks to be the same size as the other leg.

This is our first go round with ducklings so I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm betting the little guy isn't going to make it because he can't compete with all the others for food and water. It's really pitiful to see him scooting around.

But I thought I would ask here and see if anyone had any thoughts. Is this some sort of known condition? Or do you think he just hurt his leg somehow?

Back
Top Bottom