Duckling with damaged bill, need advice

SwedenDuck

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2019
I "bought" a duckling from tractor supply August 15th, and I say that due to them giving me this duckling for free along with two others due to it having a closed eyes, a matted spot on his head, and some problems with his bill. I managed to get his eye open, and the matt on his feathers seems to be healing so the only thing that i cant figure out how to fix is his bill. He had dips in his bill in two spots, but they dont seem to be messing with his nostrils or his breathing. His water and food habits seem normal for a week old chick, and his poop is normal as well. I wanted this addressed to see if neosporin or electrolytes will be essential to help him heal. I dont know the specific breed but if his color indicates anything he might be a pekin duck. Guessing he is about a week old, and he had this injury when I got them. Dont know the gender yet, but assume it's a boy. The siblings dont have any injuries or problems. And they don't seem to be attacking or mistreating him any.
20190816_002733.jpg
20190816_041006.jpg
20190816_041013.jpg

I don't normally respond to duck threads, but this tiny baby just tugs at my emotions. It appears the bill has been injured. Bills and beaks are subject to a lot of pain, being very sensitive with lots of nerve endings.

Bag balm might help this beak. It's lanolin and will nourish the cells and heal. I would apply it with a Q-tip several times a day.

Pain can cause a severe setback in a new hatchling. Warm sugar water and Nutri-drench should revive the little guy.

I don't normally respond to duck threads, but this tiny baby just tugs at my emotions. It appears the bill has been injured. Bills and beaks are subject to a lot of pain, being very sensitive with lots of nerve endings.

Bag balm might help this beak. It's lanolin and will nourish the cells and heal. I would apply it with a Q-tip several times a day.

Pain can cause a severe setback in a new hatchling. Warm sugar water and Nutri-drench should revive the little guy.
Thank you very much! Do I apply the medicine around or in the wound? I'm not used to raising ducks so I'm a little lost

Apply the Bag Balm directly on the lesions. And don't forget the sugar water to revive this guy. Pain saps a baby's energy reserves.

Back
Top Bottom