Duckling with leg problems

kaysmith

Hatching
May 18, 2015
Hello!

We have a day old duckling (12) & her legs are very deformed. I can't see being able to splint them as the range of motion isn't good at all. What do I do next aside from vitamins?
[/IMG]

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
You may want to set up some kind of sling so that the legs might have a chance to stretch out a little with no weight on them. You may also want to start looking into 3D printed prosthetics. Look up Buttercup the duck.

kaysmith

Hatching
May 18, 2015
Thank you!

I don't think that would be in the budget honestly... It looks like she is missing the entire leg and just has a foot. It doesn't touch the ground so no sling will stay. The other leg seems almost fused and I can't move it around to splint..

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
She may be a special needs duck - many of them lead happy lives with people who make little adjustments for them. She may even have a future as an ambassaduck for educational programs.
hugs.gif

Last edited:

kaysmith

Hatching
May 18, 2015
Do you think she will just adapt as we go? I just worry about future infections and such from dragging

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
You may want to wrap her legs in vet wrap (not too tight) to make a kind of sock - or get someone who makes duck booties (yup - I have some) to make them custom fit for her. Duckyfromoz has had some special needs ducks, and I know there are others.

Last edited:

Top Bottom