duckling with twisted neck help!!!!

anniele27

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Illinois
HELP quick please my first duckling hatched no problem once its head was through it pushed the rest of the body out within minutes but this one was half out (head stuck in) for three hours. I pulled back a little bit of the shell and then closed it back up and it finally made its way out, no blood or weird veins but its neck is all twisted!!! And my other duckling is now biting at it and picking on it! HELP what can i do?

Last edited:
at this point I don't even know if the other eggs will hatch so i don't really care about lockdown i just wanna save this baby if i can

I tried and i moved it forward and the baby didn't seem to be in any pain but then he moved it right back to twisted

i took the other one out because he was attacking the new duckling and then when i came back the new duckling was lifting his head and seemed to be doing ok

HELP quick please my first duckling hatched no problem once its head was through it pushed the rest of the body out within minutes but this one was half out (head stuck in) for three hours. I pulled back a little bit of the shell and then closed it back up and it finally made its way out, no blood or weird veins but its neck is all twisted!!! And my other duckling is now biting at it and picking on it! HELP what can i do?
Sometimes they have a vitamin deficiency when they hatch. In some cases, just a little time - like 12 hours or so, may help them unpack a bit, I don't know.

But I do know that wry neck has been successfully treated with B vitamins - brewer's yeast, B complex or super B complex, or even plain (not no-flush or timed release) niacin. I would lean toward the brewer's yeast or B complex.

After removing the first baby and putting him in the brooder, i repositioned the twisted neck on the second duckling and laid him back down. When i came back he was wobbling around, holding his head up straight! I think he was just still in inside egg mode! In this time another duckling hatched and is doing great, wobbling around and laying with the second one! The fourth duckling is currently pushing his way through the egg and should be out by morning.

Now for my question: there is a fifth duck egg. When i candled last night i saw the internal pip but he has yet to external. He is wobbling around inside his egg like crazy though so i don't think he died. how long should i wait for him externally pip before try to assist?

by the way thank you for all of your help everyone! This is my first time hatching eggs (we had bought our previous ones as ducklings) and I'm a little nervous!

Back
Top Bottom