duckling with twisted neck help!!!!

See if you can find a hatcher on the Call Duck Hatching thread, and check. I cannot recall how long we are supposed to give them before helping - I know it seems like a long time, but I also think there are signs of distress to look for and then you need to intervene.

See if you can find a hatcher on the Call Duck Hatching thread, and check. I cannot recall how long we are supposed to give them before helping - I know it seems like a long time, but I also think there are signs of distress to look for and then you need to intervene.

he is not a call duck, he would be a roeun pekin mix! Should i still look on the call duck thread?

My thought is that there are hatchers on that thread, and I don't know of a Rouen hatching thread, so that is where you could find the names of the members who do some hatching, and perhaps ask if any of them might post over here. Kind of like tapping them on the shoulder.

@madamiec is a hatcher, don't know how often she checks in here.

I almost forgot to add a picture! Here is the first duckling who hatched out about 13 hours ago! We have runner, rouen, and pekin ducks as well as what i believe to be some silver apple yards and wild ducks sharing the lake! So its a complete mystery what this little guy will turn out to look like but he sure is cute!

When the fuzz starts drying in the egg it sets the baby and next time you can gently rinse or wipe the duckling with warm water to help the process along so it's not so much work to figure out feet down, head up, etc. I'm glad it's doing okay. Hopefully the last baby is out now too. Duck eggs are tough and the have to work pretty hard to get out. The thing you want to have on hand for ducklings is niacin and/or thiamin vitamins...any B vitamin will do in a pinch because they all support neurological function. Parents who are vitamin deficient cause hatchling issues and the most common problems with ducklings usually fall back to niacin deficient diets...feet, legs, balance, etc. Make sure you give ALL FLOCK starter if you can't find duck/geese starter because it better supports waterfowl than chick starter. Store brand, Purina, etc. is fine. As long at the egg is rocking and rolling leave him to do his thing.

Maybe like a black swedish
smile.png

Just wondering. What kind of incubator do you have?

I looked up a black swedish duck and we definitely have those on the lake too! I never knew what they were called! My little guy looks almost like a full bred black swedish duckling so I bet that's what he's mixed with! I have the Farm Innovators Still Air Incubator 2100, we saw it when we went to get food for the big ducks and thought we'd give it a try! For it being so inexpensive I'm extremely impressed with how well it maintained constant temperature and humidity!
When the fuzz starts drying in the egg it sets the baby and next time you can gently rinse or wipe the duckling with warm water to help the process along so it's not so much work to figure out feet down, head up, etc. I'm glad it's doing okay. Hopefully the last baby is out now too. Duck eggs are tough and the have to work pretty hard to get out. The thing you want to have on hand for ducklings is niacin and/or thiamin vitamins...any B vitamin will do in a pinch because they all support neurological function. Parents who are vitamin deficient cause hatchling issues and the most common problems with ducklings usually fall back to niacin deficient diets...feet, legs, balance, etc. Make sure you give ALL FLOCK starter if you can't find duck/geese starter because it better supports waterfowl than chick starter. Store brand, Purina, etc. is fine. As long at the egg is rocking and rolling leave him to do his thing.
Thanks for the advice!! I have some niacin on hand so if it starts getting bad ill be sure to use it! It looks just the same as the others though and i haven't seen its head twisted again yet so I'm thinking it was just a weird phase! The fourth baby hatched perfectly and easily, thank goodness! But okay I will leave the egg in there! it is only day 26 anyway!

It typically takes about 24 hours from the time they internally pip until they start to externally pip the shell. Then after that, it can take another 24 hours or so to completely hatch out, so you have plenty of time! No worries, especially since it's only day 26.

Congrats on your new additions, and so glad the guy with the twisted neck has straightened out. :)

It typically takes about 24 hours from the time they internally pip until they start to externally pip the shell. Then after that, it can take another 24 hours or so to completely hatch out, so you have plenty of time! No worries, especially since it's only day 26.

Congrats on your new additions, and so glad the guy with the twisted neck has straightened out. :)

Great news! The last egg has externally pipped! With all the other ones they pipped internally and externally then hatched all in the same 24 hours so I think I was just a little nervous of this one being slower. Though I broke lock down to get the other guys out last night so I don't know if this one will hatch, I guess I'll wait and see! And thanks!!

This is not the best picture as we all know ducklings rarely stay still but here are my four little guys!

Back
Top Bottom