Duckling with wry neck, stargazing?

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
I have a duckling, about 4 days old, that has started carrying its head tilted slightly up. It eats and drinks, but when it takes water I've noticed it walks backward and points its head upward when swallowing. It can move its head to look around and nibble on things the way curious ducklings do. But it mostly keeps its head in a tilted back, kind of off to the side position. Could this be wry neck? I've never had a duckling with it before. I put nutri-drench and about 1 1/2-2 ml of b complex in their gallon waterer tonight. What can I do to treat it?

if you can get a video up that would help. Your little one needs some vitamin E take a 400 ml clip the tip and put it over a treat or feed just for this duckling. Also, some scrambled egg for selenium. Which is very important. Good to hear you have the Liquid B complex and nutri drench. Hopefully, you can get this treated before it gets any worse.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help.761308/ Just to confirm it can be treated.

if you can get a video up that would help. Your little one needs some vitamin E take a 400 ml clip the tip and put it over a treat or feed just for this duckling. Also, some scrambled egg for selenium. Which is very important. Good to hear you have the Liquid B complex and nutri drench. Hopefully, you can get this treated before it gets any worse.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help.761308/ Just to confirm it can be treated.
Thank you! I don't seem to have any vitamin E so I'll run out and get some. Should I just get capsules with the powder? And I give it 400 ml each dose?

IMG_20221001_110813_694.jpg

This is what I found. Should I give it 2 capsules per dose?

I’d put her and another duckling separate from the rest so it’s less stress. Use the vit E powder in some water unless you give them wet feed then you can sprinkle it over a little feed main thing is getting the whole amt into her.

I’d put her and another duckling separate from the rest so it’s less stress. Use the vit E powder in some water unless you give them wet feed then you can sprinkle it over a little feed main thing is getting the whole amt into her.
I mixed her up an egg and put two capsules over it earlier. I think it must have been too much egg because she didn't want much at once. I've been giving her more throughout the day but she still hasn't gotten quite all. I don't know if it's better already or if it's just kind of off and on, because I could hardly tell which one she was just now. I'll keep dosing her. Thanks so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom