Duckling won't eat anymore

I suppose they get grit from going outside and eating off the ground.
I usually let mine out for an hour a day after the first week until they’re fully feathered.
I would still offer grit to be on the safe side. They will only eat it if needed. One hour may not be a lot of time to pick up enough grit. Mine lay around a lot when they are outside.
As well, my ground was frozen up until two weeks ago. Harder to get grit from the frozen ground.

I would still offer grit to be on the safe side. They will only eat it if needed. One hour may not be a lot of time to pick up enough grit. Mine lay around a lot when they are outside.
As well, my ground was frozen up until two weeks ago. Harder to get grit from the frozen ground.

Yea I only did ducklings last year, where I live is a mild climate so I don’t have much problems with it being frozen. I have a broody duck on 20 eggs and don’t worry about her being able to cover em because she’s massive. 2 weeks left and I’ll be watching the mother duck with at least 18 of them waddling behind her, I’ll keep you posted and thanks for the advice. I’ll remember that for the next time I incubate duck eggs

Yea I only did ducklings last year, where I live is a mild climate so I don’t have much problems with it being frozen. I have a broody duck on 20 eggs and don’t worry about her being able to cover em because she’s massive. 2 weeks left and I’ll be watching the mother duck with at least 18 of them waddling behind her, I’ll keep you posted and thanks for the advice. I’ll remember that for the next time I incubate duck eggs
A broody duck and a broody chicken? You have a busy farm. ;) What kind of duck Do you have?

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
I will try various things and see if he eats. His sister was eaten by a mongoose that somehow got into our garden one day. We were outside letting them play in the grass and then faster than we could react, it snapped the neck of his sister and dragged her down a pump hole.

ED7BB233-40BE-4CD2-B122-6B6678A30238.png
A broody duck and a broody chicken? You have a busy farm. ;) What kind of duck Do you have?

Out for a morning swim

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
I will try various things and see if he eats. His sister was eaten by a mongoose that somehow got into our garden one day. We were outside letting them play in the grass and then faster than we could react, it snapped the neck of his sister and dragged her down a pump hole.
Oh that's horrible - i'm so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom