Drake Won't Eat - Any Ideas?

BoradorBeans

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Tampa, FL, USA
I posted briefly yesterday on another thread. Just when we're seeing so much progress in our female, Keisha, who is recovering from being severely egg bound, we are devastated to see that her son, Lenny, who is our baby, is now doing poorly... and we don't know why.

He is very weak. He won't eat, except for live mealworms. He shows interest, but he's so clumsy and can barely catch them from a bowl. He lays in his bed most of the day, which is indoors and cleaned daily. We even have a heat lamp on for him. His eyes are watery and leaking sticky liquid (he's always had this and it clears when he swims, but I wanted to note it here just in case it's significant. It's clear, not foamy). When he walks, it's always a slow limp to some corner to hide... extremely unlike him. He would normally follow us and our dogs everywhere. He won't eat, but he will get up to drink water.

Right now, after reading a few threads here, we are doing the following for him, but it's breaking our hearts seeing him like this. He's usually so lively.

- 1ml of vitamin b complex, mixed with a tiny bit of water, which he is drinking
- a bowl of water with electrolytes
- we are doing an activated charcoal flush today, just in case he's eaten something bad, but he lives indoors and is with us all the time, like a dog.

Any ideas?? Our vet is out of town. We have access to meloxicam, antifungal, and antibiotics.

He's losing weight and not pooing (also not eating...). How can we get some food into his system? Could this be respiratory? No raspy breathing or sneezing or anything, but I don't know what else to look for. I've tried finding articles, but there's nothing that matches his symptoms.

Lenny is a 6 month old Runner Duck.

Attachments

• 20230819_233134.jpg
    20230819_233134.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 72
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

When my Runner was sick ( I have no idea why no outward symptoms other than laying around away from the flock and not eating) I started her on Baytril and I tube fed her it took 7 days but she made it and is doing fine now.
I sure hope Lenny makes a full recovery. Could he have found something on the floor inside he may have eaten like loose change?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

When my Runner was sick ( I have no idea why no outward symptoms other than laying around away from the flock and not eating) I started her on Baytril and I tube fed her it took 7 days but she made it and is doing fine now.
I sure hope Lenny makes a full recovery. Could he have found something on the floor inside he may have eaten like loose change?
It's possible... I hope the toxin flush helps. How quickly do you think we'd notice a change after a flush?

Thank you for the article. I'll take a look. I mixed some food in a tiny bowl of water this morning to trick him into eating, but I didn't create enough of a slurry and it sunk to the bottom. Is still early for him (he starts his day around 9am), so I'm letting him rest before starting the flush.

It may take a few days if he ate something toxic. Other than metal that will be a whole new thing though these flushes won’t help with metal.

I highly doubt he ate metal. He walks around the house and we don't have metal around for him to get. He doesn't pick up loose change.

He's also a pretty picky eater and doesn't like most duck snacks like dried mealworms or peas. He likes blueberries and live mealworms.

He's drinking a water/charcoal mixture slowly. We're going to put him in an Epsom salt bath to let him swim and clean himself up.

I also texted our vet to see if she has any advice.

I really really hope he improves.

No, we talked about it, but we don't want to have him cut up. We're having him cremated so he can stay indoors with us.

Keisha and Lenny are our two babies. We love our other ducks of course, but Keisha and Lenny are different.

Back
Top Bottom