Ducklings and dogs

TLWR--

Your pictures are great. I especially love the one with the duckling looking through the door window at Jet, and the one where Jet's ears are bent on top of her head.

It sounds like you have a good dog-duckling introduction system.

Amanda

My ducklings are about a week old now and the dogs are fascinated, looking into the brooder. Introductions are controlled and I'm trying to get the dogs to follow their herding insticts to protect the ducks. I'm using the older chickens for training before they get to "play" with the ducks.

So far it is going well. The chickens are not afraid of the dogs or people and the dogs are used to the noise and movements of the chicks.

Our female boxer cant be left alone with any feathered pet ever. She is not to be trusted with them. She is fine with our cats and other dogs, but not with the ducks and chickens. Our male Great Pyrenees sleeps near is charges and patrols the duck pens, chickens and goats checking to make sure they are ok. Our female Great Pyrenees thinks the adult chickens are feathered soccer balls, ut as she gets older is settling down around them, but only permitted to be with the goats. Each dog is so different in how they act towards them. separated introductions is the best way to start. Two people working together with the dog on a long leash is also an option. This lets one control the dog and one remove the duck if need be. Leave it, Go Easy, No Mine, or my favorite: baby are all good phrases to try.

DH has a poo-chi that was a little rough at first. She was very interested in the smells sounds and look of the ducklings we got a couple months ago. As they grew she lost interest because they have gotten so much bigger than her and now they will all sit in the pen together or she will chase them around waiting for their little surprises that come out of their behind
sickbyc.gif
Why do dogs like duck/chicken poo so much?
idunno.gif
So with the new ducklings that we got last weekend she is much better at not trying to sniff them so hard because she knows they will get big like the others. Now my dad's dog is another story entirely. He is a herding dog, born and raised on a farm. He knew from the beginning that they were to be protected from any preditors at all cost. BUT he does like to make them jump out of the pool in a fright because he is mischevious
barnie.gif
He will wait until they are all settled in, splashing around happily then sneek over and bark then jump almost into the pool just to see them scramble out. I know both dogs will protect and care for the ducks but I will never leave them alone together, to many variables that could go wrong.

I have a greyhound, brindle, and a doberman, fawn with natural ears. Your dogs are adorable! I couldn't trust either one of mine with a duck. They are ok with the cats if they don't run, but my ducks are so skittish that I don't think they would be safe.

The ducks are part of it. It triggers the dogs if they are skiddish. In general the larger duck breeds are easier with dogs, because they are more laid back and calm. Size also helps. Looks like the 6 pekins are already used to the dog and don't mind that much. My ducks will walk between my dogs without blinking. They are watchful, but not scarred.

Back
Top Bottom