Ducklings and dogs

WinstonTweezers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Okay so I have two dogs a boxer and a bulldog I would like to know if having duckings out in the open with the dogs is a good idea the boxer is not at all agressive but the bulldog is a little "curious" would the ducks get used to the dogs after a while? please if you have some tell past experences of ducks and dogs
smile.png

Last edited:
at this age they are living squeaky toys. I would not let them out with the dogs around. Maybe in a cage so they can see and smell them and then you can train the dogs to "Leave it" command to help later.

I wont even let my mothering dog with my chicks and the other one already tried to eat one. So I would say no.

I never trust my dogs until the ducks are 3 months old. I do have them sit together on the deck with me being around so I had voice control over the dogs. I also did walks in the garden and meadow with the babies and dogs around. The dogs know that they are off limit and will loose interest if they are doing things together on a daily basis. Plus the ducks learn not to be afraid or to run from the dogs. Works like a charm for me. Just never leave the dogs unattended unless the birds are full grown and the dogs have lost interest.

I introduced ducklings to 2 existing dogs - a greyhound and a doberman last August

I let the ducklings settle in before introducing the dogs to them. I held them and showed them they were mine and not for them to eat or play with. When I moved them from their kennel to the bathroom to play on the floor, I'd show them to the dogs if the dogs were around. If the dogs stuck their nose in the kennel, somebody usually ran over and nipped them on the nose. Didn't take many times before they decided they weren't all that interesting since any time they peeked in, they got bit by a duckling.

Now Jet (greyhound) knows they lay eggs and will check where they are to see if they left her anything. I think she'd pick them up and look under them if she could
lol.png

Ally flew off the deck one day and landed on Jet and it didn't bother her, she jumped and looked at me and walked off. Another day another one of them landed on Tavarish (doberman) and he didn't care either.
Jet is aware of where they are and doesn't intend to bother them, but they usually run off when they feel she's too close.
Tavarish ignores them to the point he has no clue where they are and often about plows them over when he is out running in the yard - they get out of his way.

I'm not introducing a new dog (14 month old great dane) to the ducks. So much easier introducing ducklings to a dog than a new dog to existing ducks. She seems to think they are play things. The ducks are not amused. It's only been 4 days and we are taking it slow.

Some pics of dog/duckling introductions through the first month or so.

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

We have herding dogs, so it is a little different, but we started out by putting the ducks in an exercise pen so that they were safe.
65997_dsc_0054-1.jpg

Once we knew that the dog's weren't intent on hurting them, we removed the x-pen and started using the ducks for herding practice.

Back
Top Bottom