Ducklings and swimming

But how long is it supposed to take? cuz it's been over 24h and they all have 2 cracks at most
Some go faster then others do
But if they have started external pip and made the second crack they are in position to zip 98% of the time
Often they will be busy rubbing the shell inside to be weakening it to zip
Absorbing and resting
It’s a big journey for these little ones and lots of stress for us human parents waiting
Hopefully you get to watch the zip it’s amazing to see

Some go faster then others do
But if they have started external pip and made the second crack they are in position to zip 98% of the time
Often they will be busy rubbing the shell inside to be weakening it to zip
Absorbing and resting
It’s a big journey for these little ones and lots of stress for us human parents waiting
Hopefully you get to watch the zip it’s amazing to see
Well I've successfully incubated 2 batches of chickens and only seen the first batch zip because were bantams and hatched within 1 HOUR so my expectations were to have a quick hatch. NO that did not happen 🤣

20220519_063613.jpg
20220519_063605.jpg

I don't really pay attention to that stuff, I also haven't ducklings for over 3 years.
But when my ducks were ducklings I think we let them swim a little when they were about 4 weeks old or something like that.
And my blue swedishs would bath in their water bowl when they were ducklings even when they were only a couple days old.
I think as long as they don't get super wet and are in warm water and are older than a week maybe I think it would be okay to let them swim a little, oh and in shallow water nothing to deep.
That's just what I think.

I think @Miss Lydia. Will be able to give better advice then me.
The wild momma duck takes her dried of babies right to the pond. When my ducklings are born & are alright physically I use our under the bed storage container. "Firecracker" was born 7/2/22. He had his first swim tonight in warm water & he loved it.

Back
Top Bottom