Ducklings and water

kritterkeep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Hi Everyone-

We have two ducklings that are a little more then 3 weeks (Got them at TSC) they are living in a very large dog crate with 12 chicks the same age.. but they are making such a mess with the water- so we are moving them to a crate all their own and moving the bantams in with the big chicks- question is: we live in Michigan so one day it is warm the next is freezing-- so should they have a dish to swim in all the time or just when we think it is warm enough?

and how do tell which are boys and girls- they are pekins..

thank you Donna B

They don't need a dish to swim in all the time-- in fact, I highly discourage it, because they will make an unholy mess with it.

Easiest thing to do is rinse out a gallon jug, cut a hole big enough for their heads, at the height of their backs, and use that for a waterer. They'll still attempt to make a mess, but will be marginally less successful.

If you want to let them swim, fill your bath tub with a few inches of water, or get a large dishpan or something and let them swim in that for a bit. Watch them the whole time (they can tire and drown quickly) and dry them off when they're done.

Good luck with your ducklings!

Are the ducklings outdoors? At three weeks they need to be kept at around 75 degrees F.

I let my ducklings swim in warm (90F) water up to their bellies, so they could stay clean and avoid eye and sinus infections.

If your only option for letting them swim is outdoors, then just give them the opportunity on warm (see above) days, in warm water, making sure they quickly get back into the warm dry brooder. Sometimes ducklings this young need help with a little drying off (I used old washcloths for a quick wipe down).

I live in Wisconsin, so I know what you're talking about with the weather. I usually keep my ducklings inside, with no water to play in, until they are 4 or 5 weeks old (or whenever they have a lot of adult feathers), and the weather outside is staying pretty consistently warm.

You won't be able to tell what sex they are until they're a bit older, maybe 8 to 10 weeks. If you hear any of them quack, then that one is definitely a girl. At about 11 weeks the males will get a curly tail feather, and the males will never quack.

Thank you all

Okay- they all the 2 ducklings and 12 reg size chicks and 4 bantams started out in the house, (kitchen in clear totes) reg size ch. and duckling in one and bantams in a smaller one. then the ch and ducks moved to a play pen in the chicken but the smell was getting strong.. even with cleaning it daily. so now they are in a very large dog crate in the pole barn with a heat lamp in it with them.. and covered with comforters. and big rugs..

but it is always wet- so I am going to put the bantams with the reg size ch. the ducks do not like them for some reason.. and put the ducks in the other one by them selves..

so if it get really wet it is not getting the ch all wet too..

we were letting them swim in the tub and they like it...

Question: how friendly will they be as they get older?

Thank you for all the help

Donna B

Donna B,

Their friendliness will be related to how much time you spend close to them now, making them comfortable with you. A few treats (peas, etc. - see the sticky) can help, too.

Also, due to weather and no outdoor barns, we still have our 8 week olds (11 runners) in a now-expanded brooder in the house.

I change them three or four times a day, and the smell is minimal. We have had visitors and no one (these are friends who would say something) has complained.

Being wet will lower the brooder temperature (I have seen mine drop 10 degrees), so be careful with that (I don't mean to lecture, sorry). It can also cause the ducklings to get a chill. At a young age, like yours, they don't have much oil on their feathers, so they can get soaked through and risk getting sick.

There are a number of ideas posted on the duck forum for catching water and going from wet to damp, which is an improvement with ducklings! I put a broiler pan under the waterer. I have used a few other ways, too, as they grow and I adjust their system.

Amiga

Thank you I did not feel like you were lecturing me at all.. I am thankful for all the help.. They have a heat lamp and it is covered well so they do not seem cold right now.. I will put the thermometer in there and if it is cold I will bring them back in another reason for putting them out there was the noise at night with the 2 ducklings and 16 chicks they thought it was time to talk at night.. LOL

Donna B

Oh, tell me about the all-night chats! For weeks, we were spoiled. The runners slept through the night. Bliss!

Then they became adolescents, and started chatting. Sometimes they would declare Mardi Gras at 3 a.m. Most of the time we can sleep through it, though. There is a different tone to the "hey, we are really ready for breakfast" cry, somewhere between 4:30 and 6:00 a.m., and that is fine. I get the food and water setup at night, so I can virtually bring them into the brooder in my sleep and then go right back to bed if it is really early.

As I mention from time to time, we did not have any kind of shed or outdoor shelter we could use, the garage is full of garage things and very drafty, so we are making do with a giant brooder in the house and multiple bedding changes. Soon, very soon, the weather will be warm enough, they will be old enough, and the house and pen will be secure enough (I pray).

And it seems that every three days or so, something changes and I have to adjust my management of the ducks - food, water, bedding . . . something.

Amiga

Thank you so much for telling about the thread on treats and supp.

LOVE IT

Thank you Donna B

Back
Top Bottom