Do water nipples work for ducks?

louborges

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2024
We all know that ducklings are very messy with water, That is their nature, But I'm hoping to find something that will provide them water for a long time, the standard waterer the screw on cap type gets empty so quickly that I have to keep filling it and I'm not home most of the time to keep filling it,

We all know that ducklings are very messy with water, That is their nature, But I'm hoping to find something that will provide them water for a long time, the standard waterer the screw on cap type gets empty so quickly that I have to keep filling it and I'm not home most of the time to keep filling it,
ducklings and adult ducks need water deep enough to dunk their whole face into it , its a need, if they dont have it they cant clear out thier nares (nostrils) and their eyes.
Can you post a picture of your set up showing what kind of waterer you are using now?

sometimes just elevating the waterer up to where they can stick their head in but not get their feet into it will make it last longer (they cant splash so much out)
there are also ways to make waterers that they cant splash out by using plastic food containers and cutting holes in the top just big enough for their heads. and you can use several of them . @Miss Lydia makes them

ducklings and adult ducks need water deep enough to dunk their whole face into it , its a need, if they dont have it they cant clear out thier nares (nostrils) and their eyes.
Can you post a picture of your set up showing what kind of waterer you are using now?

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_153327509.jpg
    PXL_20240315_153327509.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 19
it looks like a good water system really i’m surprised it doesn’t last very long that way.. how many hours do you need it to last for? maybe put a second bucket system in there so duckies have 2 water stations it will last twice as long

Ducks don't need to have access to dunking water at all times. I use nipple waters with my ducks. My ducks are on the pond during the day, so the waterers in their pen are DIY nipple waters. It works great since they stay much cleaner than open waters. With chicks I provide a gravity waterer the first couple weeks. Ducklings seem to be able to use the horizontal nipples at hatch.

Ducks don't need to have access to dunking water at all times. I use nipple waters with my ducks. My ducks are on the pond during the day, so the waterers in their pen are DIY nipple waters. It works great since they stay much cleaner than open waters. With chicks I provide a gravity waterer the first couple weeks. Ducklings seem to be able to use the horizontal nipples at hatch.
If a duck or duckling does not have access to water for any period of time then it must not have access to food either. Ducks can not eat food without using water to help swallow it or it can get clumped up in their throat. and they can die.

That is a tiny cup for that many ducklings. Why not make something like this and others on here have examples of what they have made . This one I used for 4 Runner ducklings I changed the water 2X a day and it never was empty. They can't splash the water out and can't climb into it but they really need to be able to have access to a deep container of water for eating. I just don't think nipple waters are okay for ducklings or ducks who seem to need the wash their nares and eyes out many times a day.
@DuckyDonna and also @New duck mommy 2021 I believe made a waterer for her ducklings . IMG_2627.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom