Ducklings are dying

Samanthh

Hatching
Jul 9, 2021
Hi everyone, I just received 16 ducklings. They were in transit for 3 days. When I received them 2 had passed in transit. I placed remaining ducklings in the brooder box with the heat lamp. I gave them food and water( water was heated). I now have 5 ducklings that have passed.
Two passed after placing the water down for 5 minutes. I removed the water and food and waited an hour. I then placed the water back in the brooder and a few minutes later I had another one pass. I’m not sure if it’s because they were in transit for so long or if I am doing something to cause this… any advice.

thank you

Contact the hatchery. What are the temps? No telling what temperature fluctuations they have been through for 3 days. I hope the rest survive

Do you have a picture of your brooder set up? How hot is it in the room that their brooder is in? Are you using the red or white bulbs for the heat lamp?

I contacted the hatchery and they informed me they placed gro gel in the transportation box but they weren’t sure how long it would have lasted. They did not give me much helpful info. My temps in my brooder box is averaging 95-99 degrees underneath my red heat lamp. I’m using a large storage container as their brooding box with pine shavings for the bedding.

a few questions I have.
How often should I be giving them food and water or should I be leaving it in the brooder box for their availability?
I know they need water when food is available.

Make sure your heat lamp is at opposite end of where food an water is so ducklings can get away from the heat if needed. And I’ve be never kept my duckling at 95-99 I’d work on more like 90. Others my have differing opinions but this is just what I’ve done actually I keep my brooders more around 85-87. What breed are you talking about. And I can imagine those little ones went through the front gel pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom