Ducklings arriving next week!

Some people use heating pads, shaped into a dome. Called mhp or mama heating pad. I'm planning on this method for my ducklings this spring, then i will repourpose the heating pad to keeps the eggs from freezing in the winter.
That’s what I’ve settled on. If I can’t get it warm enough with a heating pad and my kinda lousy brooder plate, I’ll have to snag the ceramic heat lamp that I’m currently using to keep the chickens water from freezing. Think there’s only actually been one night when it got cold enough that I needed it, anyway.

If you can get a kiddie swimming pool they work great once they outgrow the plastic tub brooder which will be in about 2 days! :lol:

I got some cardboard and stood it up all around the pool so they couldn't escape and jump out too.
Unfortunately, I’ve a dog. Though the ducks will be in a room that is closed off from the dog, I can’t guarantee that she will never burst through. Better safe than sorry, but I do hope I find something better than my galvanized tub (already fitted with a lid from when my chicks used it) by the time they’re too big for the clear bin. I couldn’t stand that the chicks couldn’t see past the confines of that metal brooder, and doubt I’ll like it anymore with the ducklings.
I do plan on getting them a kiddie pool by the time they’re outside. HOWEVER, I just yesterday remembered that my new home doesn’t have an outdoor spigot! That’s gonna be a hassle, so hopefully I’ll figure out a creative solution for keeping their pool water clean before spring!

Anyone try anything like these (I’ve attached pics from an image search, I do not own them) diy duckling waterers that I keep seeing all over the internet? They seem popular, but I worry about their necks getting stuck, or them falling in.

Attachments

• C75530EF-D5E6-451C-ACD9-409AF33B6C15.jpeg
    C75530EF-D5E6-451C-ACD9-409AF33B6C15.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 4
  • EE0CE3AD-862E-4DA8-BFAE-7DCC03E082B4.png
    EE0CE3AD-862E-4DA8-BFAE-7DCC03E082B4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I highly recommend puppy pee pads for bedding the first few weeks. That way you can just roll them up and replace. Keeps smell to a minimu m, especially inside. They are $15 for a hundred at Costco. For some reason mine start eating them at about 4 or 5 weeks and I watch over to pine shavings.

Anyone try anything like these (I’ve attached pics from an image search, I do not own them) diy duckling waterers that I keep seeing all over the internet? They seem popular, but I worry about their necks getting stuck, or them falling in.
i use a sour cream plastic container with a hole in the lid for their heads to fit for the first week

Whatever you choose make sure they cant ever get their bodies in it

Cant wait to see the cute pictures

Unfortunately, I’ve a dog. Though the ducks will be in a room that is closed off from the dog, I can’t guarantee that she will never burst through. Better safe than sorry, but I do hope I find something better than my galvanized tub (already fitted with a lid from when my chicks used it) by the time they’re too big for the clear bin. I couldn’t stand that the chicks couldn’t see past the confines of that metal brooder, and doubt I’ll like it anymore with the ducklings.
I do plan on getting them a kiddie pool by the time they’re outside. HOWEVER, I just yesterday remembered that my new home doesn’t have an outdoor spigot! That’s gonna be a hassle, so hopefully I’ll figure out a creative solution for keeping their pool water clean before spring!
I would deffinately call a plumber and see what it would cost to install an outside tap.

Back
Top Bottom