Ducklings arriving next week!

Pics

Hunnied

Chirping
Nov 10, 2019
Freeville, NY
On sorta a whim, I just ordered 3 day old Cayuga ducklings which will hatch February 10th (the whim was ordering them sooner than planned).
Any advice for someone new to raising ducks? Anything those of you experienced with backyard ducks wish you had done differently the first time around? I’d appreciate any advice from those wiser than myself!

Theres so many little points of interest but the ones that stand out

Water their starter crumbles into porage for the first week

Use towels in the brooder for the first week so they dont eat the bedding

Make sure the floor of the brooder isnt slippery because it hurts their legs

95-98 degrees for the first week, lower it 5 degrees every week untill they dont need it

Add a form of b complex vitamins to their diet for healthy legs and good energy
Like these:
high-level-vitamin-b-complex-500ml.jpg
2a3b11891a4c0dcb7937e724038fc8d9_ra,w380,h380_pa,w380,h380.png

And most important post lots and lots of pictures of them on here!

Cayuga is a beautifull duck and the cutest black ducklings you will ever see! You wont be dissapointment

Dont be shy ask all the question you need

On sorta a whim, I just ordered 3 day old Cayuga ducklings which will hatch February 10th (the whim was ordering them sooner than planned).
Any advice for someone new to raising ducks? Anything those of you experienced with backyard ducks wish you had done differently the first time around? I’d appreciate any advice from those wiser than myself!
Storeys guide to ducks by Dave Holderead is a good book, probably can get in from your local library.
I don't know much about ducks, but I do know you should have a can of brewers yeast on hand for them for developmental purposes. Have you posted in the duck forum?

Storeys guide to ducks by Dave Holderead is a good book, probably can get in from your local library.
I don't know much about ducks, but I do know you should have a can of brewers yeast on hand for them for developmental purposes. Have you posted in the duck forum?
I thought I was posting in the duck forum. :rolleyes:That book has been coming up a lot in my search for info, glad to hear a review from a “live” person, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom