Ducklings arriving next week!

Pics

See, it sounds kind of gross (though ducks habitually swim in water filled with their own crap), but no one has so much as peed in this thing for probably two or three months. We still flush it every week or so, but no poop, no piss, no chemicals. You could probably drink out of it if you wanted to (I don't).

So, I could let a couple three ducklings swim in it for a bit and once they're fished out to be dried, we could just flush the duck-poo away.

I FINALLY have pictures to share! These babies arrived Wednesday, and I entirely expected to have been posting joyful pictures, sowing them off (because I adore them, not because they’re some sort of status symbol or bragging rights), but I’ve had a health set back.
All of you have been incredibly supportive in my journey as a new duck “mom,” and so it’s with humility that I ask for further support. Health wise, I am not well. I am not dying either, it’s not tragic, I’ll heal. The day after my ducklings arrived I finally went to my MD over symptoms that had been slowly getting worse. I am an RN. I KNOW better.

This sounds like doom and gloom; excuse me for that. I am SEVERELY anemic. So much so that my care team and I felt it best last week to not take any more blood to diagnose the underlying cause, after drawing labs to run all the standard tests which confirmed that my blood isn't delivering enough oxygen to the rest of my body. Further testing will begin tomorrow. I am in good hands, I am already responding well to treatment, and will respond even better to the treatment tailored to the underlying cause.

I feel like a duck shmuck.These 3 (pictured) are getting a lot of care...but I could do better. I expected their bedding to be more absorbing than straw. I...I dunno, I feel like I’m letting them down. Then I feel silly because they’re ducks, after all. Then I feel guilty because THEY’RE DUCKS AFTER ALL, and ducks are fantastic. Then I drag myself to the coop/run to care for my chickens, and feel even lousier. My surprise cockerel, Devereaux, has entered his teen phase, and I don’t have the energy to pick him up and carry him around until I’m certain he knows I’m the alpha.

Sigh. Happy to share this picture, finally, and thank you for reading me venting my spleen.

Back
Top Bottom