1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings Breathing Issue?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AdamD77, Aug 16, 2011.

1. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I have noticed I can sometimes hear my ducklings breathing through their nostrils and I'm wondering if its normal and if I should be worried? They get a bath every day so have the chance to clear their nostrils then and I clean their brooder out every day. I don't know if I'm just noticing it more because they are in my room so I hear them now while I'm trying to sleep whereas before the ducks were downstairs or if they shouldn't be doing it...? Like i said its not all the time but I'm very worried.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good for you for paying attention!

I won't say it's definitely nothing - often, ducks will hide a health problem until it is quite advanced.

However

I can hear my ducks' breathing, sometimes little nose-whistles, when we sit quietly together. You may simply be hearing them breathe. They may have just a little mucus or schmutz in their nares, too, even though they wash their faces and heads regularly.

Watch their energy levels, their poop, how much they eat and drink. If everything else seems normal, you probably don't need to worry. Think about whether they are being exposed to dust or fumes somehow. They do have sensitive lungs, I have been told, and can develop respiratory troubles. But just being able to hear their breath through their nares seems normal to me.

3. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Well they seem to be eating and drinking lots, pooping lots (!) and there not showing signs of being under the weather but I can definitely hear it often, the nose whistle like you mentioned and just breathing noises like humans make all the time. We are decorating at the moment so maybe the paint fumes have something to do with it? The ducklings are kept in my room with the door shut though so the only time there properly exposed is when I take them through the house to the garden, could that be enough to harm them?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have been told they are sensitive to fumes. It may be a problem. Did it start with the painting project?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by