Ducklings died and I’m not sure why. Please help!

Hows the little one doing?
She seems a lot better. She’s wandering around with the rest and eating and drinking now. Thanks for asking!

72331CFD-CE99-47AA-B8C6-8EF4E206AFAF.jpeg
D8D54117-40CC-42DF-B66B-B248BBD281DD.jpeg

I just can't get over how cute welsh harlequins are!!! How many boys to girls do you think there are?
I know! They’re so freaking cute!

So going off bill sexing mine that I hatched I was thinking both boys

The two I got shipped are supposed to be girls, but one bill looks like boy, I freaking hope not!

I know it’s only 70-90% accurate but if we go off bill ive got 3 boys 1 girl, which will be freaking annoying! I’m hoping I’m wrong.

I did the same exact thing with my chicks.

I think they will be fine just next time put a little sugar in their water. What waterer did you use?
Like what ratio water to sugar? And should I do that instead of the save a chick?

Just a normal small chicken waterer from TSC, I usually use those the first day or 2 with the vitamins and then switch to plain water with a homemade jug or container with a hole cut.

Like what ratio water to sugar?
A tsp. or so per water.
And should I do that instead of the save a chick?
I would use both!
Just a normal small chicken waterer from TSC, I usually use those the first day or 2 with the vitamins and then switch to plain water with a homemade jug or container with a hole cut.
Good! I was worried that you were using something they don't know how to drink out of to keep the messys down.

Well, how did the other ones that were in the incubator get on?
The first one that hatched is doing awesome! Crazy little sucker! The second is doing a lot better than last night, definitely weaker than the other. We really didn’t think it was even going to make it through the night. But they’re both in the brooder now cuddling. Also I have the weaker ones legs taped for spraddle leg, hopefully that doesn’t become a big issue.

The first time I ordered and had shipped, I ordered 2 cayugas, 2 magpies, 2 goslings and 6 chicks. They came a day late. I purposely ordered extra chicks because I know they are typically more fragile and had never lost a duckling yet. I think I lost 2 or 3 of those ducklings and 1 chick. I was shocked. So I ordered again a week later to get the breeds I wanted of ducklings. I ordered extras that time, just ducklings, and everyone survived. So now I have more than I originally wanted but that's ok. I think it really just depends on how strong they are and how their shipping experience goes.
I did decide after that, I probably won't order again online unless there's a specific breed I'm looking for. Otherwise I'm just going to hatch my own mixed breed eggs or buy locally. I just had my heart set on cayugas and more magpies.

Back
Top Bottom