Ducklings died and I’m not sure why. Please help!

Pics

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
2 ducklings were shipped to me last Tuesday, they weren’t supposed to arrive until Friday however a lady at the post office 30 minutes away called Thursday night and said you can come get them here if you want so they don’t have to stay the night so I went and got them.

Got them home they seemed fine, the next morning one of them seemed lethargic and having a hard time walking. About 2 hours later it passed.

So we had a single, got her set up with a mirror and a stuffed animal and she still seemed great. About 12 hours later she passed as well.

I’ve never had this happen with ducklings and I’m so upset and can’t help but beat myself up. The only thing that’s different from all our other broodings is the nutritional yeast I’ve added. But I never saw either of them eat and food so I don’t think it would be that. Everything else is exactly the same with no issues! Is this common with shipped ducklings and chicks? This was our first time doing it. We always have bought from TSC or incubated.

Another side note (I’m sorry I know this is turning into a long read) when the lady and the post office brought them out to me she showed me how she opened a flap on the box to check on them, didn’t think of it much at the time. And then when I was carrying them to the car what I assume was water leaked ALL over me, there was a lot! So I don’t know if something happened at the post office that could of causes this?

Basically I’m asking if this happens a lot with shipped ducks and chickens or if it’s something that went wrong here? I have 2 ducklings that I hatched myself yesterday in a totally different brooder, with all new waterer and feeder and no nutritional yeast cause I’m so worried it’s something I did?

I don't think it was your fault at all:hugs, I had chicks that were shipped, and out of 13, seven died, I think they died due to low blood sugar, did you put any sugar in their water? Were this your really expensive welsh harlequins:(? I am pretty sure the hatchery you bought them from will ship a replacement order.
Oh wow! That’s horrible!

I didn’t put sugar in their water, didn’t know that was a thing! They did have save-a-chick vitamins in their water though.

Yes these were the really expensive ones I was talking about! I talked to the hatchery and they are sending replacements this week but I’m still really nervous about it. I don’t want it to happen again!

didn’t put sugar in their water, didn’t know that was a thing! They did have save-a-chick vitamins in their water though.
I did the same exact thing with my chicks.
I talked to the hatchery and they are sending replacements this week but I’m still really nervous about it. I don’t want it to happen again!
I think they will be fine just next time put a little sugar in their water. What waterer did you use?

I did the same exact thing with my chicks.

I think they will be fine just next time put a little sugar in their water. What waterer did you use?
Like what ratio water to sugar? And should I do that instead of the save a chick?

Just a normal small chicken waterer from TSC, I usually use those the first day or 2 with the vitamins and then switch to plain water with a homemade jug or container with a hole cut.

Like what ratio water to sugar?
A tsp. or so per water.
And should I do that instead of the save a chick?
I would use both!
Just a normal small chicken waterer from TSC, I usually use those the first day or 2 with the vitamins and then switch to plain water with a homemade jug or container with a hole cut.
Good! I was worried that you were using something they don't know how to drink out of to keep the messys down.

Well, how did the other ones that were in the incubator get on?
The first one that hatched is doing awesome! Crazy little sucker! The second is doing a lot better than last night, definitely weaker than the other. We really didn’t think it was even going to make it through the night. But they’re both in the brooder now cuddling. Also I have the weaker ones legs taped for spraddle leg, hopefully that doesn’t become a big issue.

Back
Top Bottom