Ducklings died and I’m not sure why. Please help!

Pics

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
2 ducklings were shipped to me last Tuesday, they weren’t supposed to arrive until Friday however a lady at the post office 30 minutes away called Thursday night and said you can come get them here if you want so they don’t have to stay the night so I went and got them.

Got them home they seemed fine, the next morning one of them seemed lethargic and having a hard time walking. About 2 hours later it passed.

So we had a single, got her set up with a mirror and a stuffed animal and she still seemed great. About 12 hours later she passed as well.

I’ve never had this happen with ducklings and I’m so upset and can’t help but beat myself up. The only thing that’s different from all our other broodings is the nutritional yeast I’ve added. But I never saw either of them eat and food so I don’t think it would be that. Everything else is exactly the same with no issues! Is this common with shipped ducklings and chicks? This was our first time doing it. We always have bought from TSC or incubated.

Another side note (I’m sorry I know this is turning into a long read) when the lady and the post office brought them out to me she showed me how she opened a flap on the box to check on them, didn’t think of it much at the time. And then when I was carrying them to the car what I assume was water leaked ALL over me, there was a lot! So I don’t know if something happened at the post office that could of causes this?

Basically I’m asking if this happens a lot with shipped ducks and chickens or if it’s something that went wrong here? I have 2 ducklings that I hatched myself yesterday in a totally different brooder, with all new waterer and feeder and no nutritional yeast cause I’m so worried it’s something I did?

Update on my home incubation spraddle duck....

Don’t worry he’s not dead! This is how it started with hobbles, it was rough yesterday constantly watching and helping him all day.
45C1C473-B6C6-4646-AB20-22672A5638C7.jpeg

But today he is doing so good! Keeping his legs under him while he lays and even walking around! Pics fuzzy cause he wouldn’t stay still lol Gahhhh we’re so in love with him
6BCA5BC0-ABB4-49C2-B0BD-C972DB4D0F2D.jpeg

I don't think it was your fault at all:hugs, I had chicks that were shipped, and out of 13, seven died, I think they died due to low blood sugar, did you put any sugar in their water? Were this your really expensive welsh harlequins:(? I am pretty sure the hatchery you bought them from will ship a replacement order.
Oh wow! That’s horrible!

I didn’t put sugar in their water, didn’t know that was a thing! They did have save-a-chick vitamins in their water though.

Yes these were the really expensive ones I was talking about! I talked to the hatchery and they are sending replacements this week but I’m still really nervous about it. I don’t want it to happen again!

Like what ratio water to sugar? And should I do that instead of the save a chick?

Just a normal small chicken waterer from TSC, I usually use those the first day or 2 with the vitamins and then switch to plain water with a homemade jug or container with a hole cut.
Save a chick is good too also Poultry Nutri drench.
I had 4 Runner ducklings sent through the mail and lost 2 I haven't ever ordered again just too heartbreaking.

Yes Save a chick is electrolytes but it doesn't contain glucose. Pedialyte does. I suggested buying pedialyte is safer than adding sugar to Save a chick electrolytes.

I have both Pedialyte and Save a chick in my ducky first aid kit [although I haven't used them]. I just bought the Pedialyte as my two recently rescued pekins were severely dehydrated. I think I would have been better to use Pedialyte in their drinking water for a couple of days until they were rehydrated. We managed without and they survived but it made me think!!
Okay I'd never heard of adding sugar to save a chick that is what thru me off.

Back
Top Bottom