1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings from Tractor Supply

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    OK, I just called my local Tractor Supply and asked if they had ducklings. The man who answered went to check and said that indeed they did. When I asked what breed he paused and said..."I don't know. We always get mallard types". When I asked what color they were he said "some are yellow, some are brown". It sounds to me like he doesn't know what he's talking about. I want to raise some meat ducks this summer and my other local feed store only has "hatchery choice" ducklings available.

Should I just pay the extra shipping and buy right from the hatchery (and have to get a minimum of 15) or do you think that the odds of the yellow ducklings at Tractor Supply being Pekins are high enough that it is worth the gamble?

2. Madelennon

Madelennon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Haslet,Texas
    I think its high enough. You could always at least go an look. Our TSC always has what looks like pekins.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    This is typical of TSC. Corporate does all the ordering. Somewhere there are shipping papers that may at least have the name of the hatchery. Unless there is an employee who raises birds, they really don't know. Maybe a manager will look to see what info is on the invoices? Good luck!

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Usually TSC get Pekins. They are a very common bird and are usually the main part of hatchery choice birds as well. I think they are super easy to spot since they are all yellow with no brown.

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Well, I went in and purchased their last 7 ducklings. Here they are. Please tell me they are Pekins. (?)
    [​IMG]
    The folks at TSC said chick starter is fine for ducklings, no additional suplements needed...but then again, they called these "Mallard types" so please let me know if I need anything else right now to keep them healthy and happy.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  6. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    i dont know for shur.. they do look like them but they might change their coloring as they get older.

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I can't tell by the lighting but do any of them have brown? It look like the one in the front does. I hope they are all Pekins.

8. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I wouldn't say "brown" on any of them. They are a bright yellow almost everywhere, but it does get darker...more carmel colored on their foreheads right above their bills.

9. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    they might be buff ducks... here is a picture i got online and they fit the discription you said

[​IMG]

10. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Supplement their feed with brewer's yeast (about 1 tablespoon per cup of food). Chick starter does NOT have enough niacin in it, and can cripple a duck if you don't add the niacin. Cute little ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by