Ducklings hatched in October?

The Quack Shack

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
West Virginia
Hello everyone! I am new to raising Pekin ducks and have gotten a lot of good information from this site. So, thank you! I actually did not plan on raising ducks but our Jill decided to go broody! I read that Pekin ducks are not good brooders, so when she started staying on her nest I told my husband she probably would not keep at it. Well, she has! It is getting cold now here in West Virginia so I am concerned about the ducklings - if the eggs should hatch. She is VERY touchy, actually quite mean, when it comes to her nest so I can only imagine what she would be like with ducklings. Since it is getting in the low 40's or upper 30's at night, I should take the ducklings from her when they hatch, right? How would you suggest I do that? Do ducks usually start sitting this late in the year? Thank you!

Hello everyone! I am new to raising Pekin ducks and have gotten a lot of good information from this site. So, thank you! I actually did not plan on raising ducks but our Jill decided to go broody! I read that Pekin ducks are not good brooders, so when she started staying on her nest I told my husband she probably would not keep at it. Well, she has! It is getting cold now here in West Virginia so I am concerned about the ducklings - if the eggs should hatch. She is VERY touchy, actually quite mean, when it comes to her nest so I can only imagine what she would be like with ducklings. Since it is getting in the low 40's or upper 30's at night, I should take the ducklings from her when they hatch, right? How would you suggest I do that? Do ducks usually start sitting this late in the year? Thank you!
Hello and welcome to the flock!:frow
If she hatches, and sounds like she's quite determined, if she's a good momma, then the ducklings will be fine to leave with her. They will get up under for warmth.
There may be precautions you may need to take.. being prepared with a brooder just in case.. I am tagging @WVduckchick , @shawluvsbirds or @Alaskan ... hopefully one or all of them are around and can give you more advice.. :fl

Hello fellow West Virginian! :frow

Do you know how many eggs she is on? Have you checked to see if they are developing?

I have a duck building a nest right now, but she isn’t sitting constantly yet. I’m leaving the eggs, and I’ll leave the ducklings, if any hatch. I agree with FMF, she should cover them and keep them warm. Especially if she is in a nice spot, out of the wind and weather.

Hello and welcome to the flock!:frow
If she hatches, and sounds like she's quite determined, if she's a good momma, then the ducklings will be fine to leave with her. They will get up under for warmth.
There may be precautions you may need to take.. being prepared with a brooder just in case.. I am tagging @WVduckchick , @shawluvsbirds or @Alaskan ... hopefully one or all of them are around and can give you more advice.. :fl

Thank you for your quick response! I will anxiously look for all information I can get!

Hello fellow West Virginian! :frow

Do you know how many eggs she is on? Have you checked to see if they are developing?

I have a duck building a nest right now, but she isn’t sitting constantly yet. I’m leaving the eggs, and I’ll leave the ducklings, if any hatch. I agree with FMF, she should cover them and keep them warm. Especially if she is in a nice spot, out of the wind and weather.

Hello!! When she started setting she would leave her next for several hours in the evening. That's why I didn't think she was really serious. So I marked four eggs to leave in the nest and I would take her newly laid egg out each evening - trying to control the number of ducklings if they should hatch! I don't know what I would do with a lot of ducklings! So now I'm not sure how many she has because she hasn't left her nest for several days. I have a water bowl and a small bowl of food in front of her. She is so touchy she bit me when I was placing the bowl beside of her nest! Her nest is in my flower bed up against a rock wall so it is somewhat protected. We have a pen that our 3 other ducks go in at night but they are totally free range thru the day. So Jill, the momma, is free range as well. So if the eggs should hatch, should I keep her and her babies in the pen all the time? According to the calendar, I would think the four eggs would hatch sometime next week. So how does that work with the new eggs that she has been laying? I was considering "candleing" the eggs but I have missed my chance now - I can't get near her!

Hello!! When she started setting she would leave her next for several hours in the evening. That's why I didn't think she was really serious. So I marked four eggs to leave in the nest and I would take her newly laid egg out each evening - trying to control the number of ducklings if they should hatch! I don't know what I would do with a lot of ducklings! So now I'm not sure how many she has because she hasn't left her nest for several days. I have a water bowl and a small bowl of food in front of her. She is so touchy she bit me when I was placing the bowl beside of her nest! Her nest is in my flower bed up against a rock wall so it is somewhat protected. We have a pen that our 3 other ducks go in at night but they are totally free range thru the day. So Jill, the momma, is free range as well. So if the eggs should hatch, should I keep her and her babies in the pen all the time? According to the calendar, I would think the four eggs would hatch sometime next week. So how does that work with the new eggs that she has been laying? I was considering "candleing" the eggs but I have missed my chance now - I can't get near her!
Im sorta new to ducks, Ive had Calls for a year and Ive hatched a couple of ducklings but haven't had a broody yet. Ive had broody chickens many times and Id say they are quite similar but I dont know for sure..
But I do know these guys and so many others here have dealt with many broody ducks... so im learning too.. ;)

:welcome
Welcome here! Another West Virginian joining!

Back
Top Bottom