Ducklings keep falling over ...

melmunc

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2019
Hi there - new to Backyard Chickens (and Ducks) forum....

I have a new mom with a nest of 7 babies she had on the 8th of June... about 5 days in I noticed that 2 of the 7 babies kept falling over....

First let me say 5 of the babies are completely fine - and mom is a champ protecting her babies and taking good care of them
2 of the babies kept falling over - so i made some calls - and googled to see what could be done ....

I was feeding medicated feed per the animal supply store which is apparently a big no no.... switched feed after 2 days to non medicated all flock starter.

start them on brewers yeast in their starter

babies still not doing good a few days later - and i am helping babies to eat and stay hydrated but its stressing mom out with me coming and grabbing 2 of her babies every few hours....

called a friend - she said to separate them and bring those 2 into the house in a box .... which i did about 4 days ago... still helping to feed and water the two who keep falling over by holding them upright while getting food/drink every few hours

One seems to be slightly improving = the other seems to have gotten worse...

I am giving the brewers yeast in their starter
I am giving poulty vitamin (a drop at a time) in their mouth....

Any other ideas on what to do... trying to figure out a way to keep a VERY VERY squirmy baby upright in the box for a few hours at a time while I am at work where he doesn't get out and fall over... he is spending so much time on his back, he has worn off the down on his back wings...

Help?!

Welcome to BYC! Can you go to Tractor Supply and get some vitamin b complex for cattle? If mine i would give each one some of that and see if that helps.
Screenshot_2019-06-20-12-21-20.png

Back
Top Bottom