Ducklings on the way!!

I think it depends on the Call ducks. Is your Calls Show quality or pet quality. I think the SQ have a harder time hatching because their bills are so short. Pet quality probably don't have that problem. But let's get a call duck member to say for sure.

@WVduckchick
@Overo Mare
I think Buzzard is show quality and Newt is pet quality. I'm not entirely sure.
But I've noticed Newt has cracked a few of them (they are okay but I don't want her to accidentally bust them open) so I think I should bring them in..

I can’t really tell what color Newt is. She looks mostly blue fawn, or dusky blue fawn, but the little white specks on her head and neck shouldn’t be there, so she has some other mix in her background.

If you want to keep more ducklings, I think you should leave the eggs with her. She will be more likely to raise them if you don’t take them. If you want to sell them or not plan to keep them, then it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and remove them and incubate them yourself. (She will just be mad at you lol) Cracked ones don’t have very good luck with broodies though, so you could just take those, if you want.

I have put my security camera on a few of my calls to watch their hatches. They will assist the ducklings if necessary. And they are actually better at it than we are.

I can’t really tell what color Newt is. She looks mostly blue fawn, or dusky blue fawn, but the little white specks on her head and neck shouldn’t be there, so she has some other mix in her background.

If you want to keep more ducklings, I think you should leave the eggs with her. She will be more likely to raise them if you don’t take them. If you want to sell them or not plan to keep them, then it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and remove them and incubate them yourself. (She will just be mad at you lol) Cracked ones don’t have very good luck with broodies though, so you could just take those, if you want.

I have put my security camera on a few of my calls to watch their hatches. They will assist the ducklings if necessary. And they are actually better at it than we are.
I do plan to keep a few of the ducklings (that is if we hatch all 6) and I plan to sell the rest. Should I keep the cracked ones in the incubator and give her the others or should I keep them all in the incubator?

How cracked are they? A few hairline cracks are pretty normal and don't usually hurt anything.
One of the eggs is covered in cracks, it's difficult to see on camera so I attempted to outline the cracks so here are the pictures:

1685046745866.png
1685046752566.png

And theres a few more on the other side of the egg

One of the eggs is covered in cracks, it's difficult to see on camera so I attempted to outline the cracks so here are the pictures:

View attachment 3518175 View attachment 3518176

And theres a few more on the other side of the egg
Oh yeah that's normal. It's just from them accidentally stepping on the eggs while getting on/off. I would really recommend leaving all of them with her, they'll do a lot better under the hen. It's a more controlled and natural environment. Incubators are subject to temp spikes and power outages and such, which can happen at any time.
I would let her raise them but separate your drake. They can suddenly turn on their babies and kill them sometimes.

Oh yeah that's normal. It's just from them accidentally stepping on the eggs while getting on/off. I would really recommend leaving all of them with her, they'll do a lot better under the hen. It's a more controlled and natural environment. Incubators are subject to temp spikes and power outages and such, which can happen at any time.
I would let her raise them but separate your drake. They can suddenly turn on their babies and kill them sometimes.
Alright, thank you!

Yeah I planned to separate Buzzard from Newt and the ducklings!

Back
Top Bottom