Ducklings on the way!!

Hi again!!
I have some good news!
4 out of 6 eggs have internally pipped!!

Eggs 1 and 2 didn't internally pip yet and I didn't see any movement when I candled them but their veins are still visible so I assume they are alive.

Eggs 3 and 4 have internally pipped (egg 4 peeped at me through the egg! I can see egg 3's beak moving around in the air cell, although it looks like its trying to get through the air cell, I think it is through)

Eggs 5 and 6 also have internally pipped. Egg 5 is just now trying to internally pip while egg 6 has like half it's body in the air cell (lmao it looks like it)

I tried talking to them to see if I could hear any squeaks or peeps but I didn't hear any besides that one that egg 3 did.

It looks like they just have internally pipped I think. Their air cells are still pretty big and are about the same size as they were two days ago (I candled them 2 days ago and didn't see any internal pips yet)
Since I'm not eternally sure when they internally pipped, how long should I wait until putting a safety hole?

Also I'm keeping the ducklings inside until they are big enough to regulate their body temperature and big enough to defend themselves from their dad (since he is quite mean) and I still need to get new wiring (which I plan to do sometime next weekend) but Newt is very attached to her babies and I planned to bring her inside with them but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.
How would I feel them separately?
And what if Buzzard gets lonely outside?

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hi again!
So all the eggs internally pipped besides number 1! Which I have quite the story for..

Egg number 1 was apparently shrink wrapped so I made a hole and wet the membrane with coconut oil and made a little hole so she could get air and shes currently chewing and yawning so shes all good! But.. I was gonna put her in the incubator but I couldn't find it and she was getting cold so I went to put her back under Newt but Newt decided to rip a piece of the egg shell and the duckling was bleeding a lot but luckily I saved her and found my incubator.
I had to make safety holes in all the eggs and they are all in the incubator just because I don't want Newt to accidentally make another duckling bleed (in case any make the safety holes bigger and they still have some veins to absorb)

But all the ducklings are good and they are very talkative and active!

The babies are hatching!!
Number 3 hatched first and shes grown quite the liking towards Pika (egg Number 1)
1686068423564.png
1686068439831.png

The others are trying to zip still but they are all doing good!
I'll post pictures when they all hatch!
I'm so glad they are all doing well hatching on their own, it was quite the struggle when I first hatched Call ducks last year.
But of course I am ready to assist if I need to!

Another one has hatched!
Egg 5 has now hatched.

Egg 1 hasn't hatched yet but we named her Pika.
Egg 2 hasn't hatched yet (but is working on it)
Egg 3 (the first one to hatch) is Fawn!
Egg 4 just hatched, we haven't named her yet
Egg 5 also just hatched, haven't named it yet.
And Egg 6 is still working on hatching! I'll post pictures when they all hatch!

One of the babies hatched but has some yolk-goo hanging from its belly
It's not attached to the egg and the baby is resting (had to take Fawn out because she kept messing with her) but I'm not sure what to do. It's been about 30, maybe more, minutes and it looks the same size.
I sadly can't get a picture.

EDIT: NEVERMIND!! ToT
Right as I posted this, she wiggled out of the egg and it just fell off. She's fine!!

Back
Top Bottom