Ducklings out of the Brooder

luckyduck956

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
I have 2 duckling both about 3 weeks old. They are still in a “brooder” inside my house. (It’s really just a pen I made with cardboard and boxes so they would have more room-picture below). Lately I’ve had them out of their brooder from the moment I wake up, to the moment I go to bed. I put them in only when I eat. I love that they get to spend time outside their pen, but it’s also driving me a little crazy. I have so many home chores I need to do, but find myself stuck in my living room with them. (Not complaining, just explaining). Since they poop so often, I always have to have my eyes on them. I try to keep them in my living room to minimize the clean up, but again, am in my living rooom all day. (During this quarantine time, I’d love to go walk, paint, be doing other things so I don’t go crazy).

My question here is... how long throughout the day do you let your ducklings be out? I feel bad that they’re in there all night, so feel bad leaving them in during the day...

Attachments

• 77DC207D-C79E-42D1-A9F2-C37EB6709A3F.jpeg
    77DC207D-C79E-42D1-A9F2-C37EB6709A3F.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 594C8BDA-16CD-42BD-A27D-C2324624A9E7.jpeg
    594C8BDA-16CD-42BD-A27D-C2324624A9E7.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 9
  • 5A75410C-247B-49E1-B77F-74C6C4C7614D.jpeg
    5A75410C-247B-49E1-B77F-74C6C4C7614D.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 8
  • F34CD993-6C7A-4656-9F7E-27F8B1560AA5.jpeg
    F34CD993-6C7A-4656-9F7E-27F8B1560AA5.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 8
We had a house duck for nearly a year. When she started laying eggs she had to move out. She was out almost constantly. She'd run with the dogs and eat dog food and play in the water bowl. We'd try to only feed and water her at certain times, in her pen, so the poop would be minimum.
Now I let all the birds I have free range for 2-5 hours a day. Before quarantine it was about 1-3 hours a day. Too many predators and my birds are dumb... Polish, silkies, the fancy ones... They peck their own shadows so i watch them constantly.

You should put your location in your profile so we can give you better advice.

Where I am in Ohio it would be no problem to put those ducks outside during the day, so long as they are protected from predators and other ducks. I have my three-week-olds living in an outdoor coop with an incandescent bulb to keep them warm at night.

We had a house duck for nearly a year. When she started laying eggs she had to move out. She was out almost constantly. She'd run with the dogs and eat dog food and play in the water bowl. We'd try to only feed and water her at certain times, in her pen, so the poop would be minimum.
Now I let all the birds I have free range for 2-5 hours a day. Before quarantine it was about 1-3 hours a day. Too many predators and my birds are dumb... Polish, silkies, the fancy ones... They peck their own shadows so i watch them constantly.
At what point do you stop letting them eat when they please? As of now, my ducklings eat whenever they want. So of course they’re pooping so much. Also, where were your birds when they weren’t free ranging?

You should put your location in your profile so we can give you better advice.

Where I am in Ohio it would be no problem to put those ducks outside during the day, so long as they are protected from predators and other ducks. I have my three-week-olds living in an outdoor coop with an incandescent bulb to keep them warm at night.
Just put it! Located in San Antonio, Texas. Weather here is never consistent. Lows at this time range from 45-65° and Highs from 60-90°. I have been thinking of transitioning them to the outside, not sure how to go about that. When your 3 week olds were not in their coop, what were they doing? And how long were they out?

They live in their coop, an octogon about 7 feet across. They do not come out. When they reach 8 weeks old they will be sent out to free-range with the rest of the flock, well those that aren't culled for dinner.

Given your low temperatures, your ducks aren't quite ready to live outside without supplemental heat. In my coop I used concrete blocks to create walls that stop drafts and hold up a storage tub lid. The lid has a hole in it for a 72W lightbulb, and traps the heat created by the bulb. So they have a small heated house within the coop.

At what point do you stop letting them eat when they please? As of now, my ducklings eat whenever they want. So of course they’re pooping so much.

Ducks (and chickens) poop a lot. Especially when they're growing, when they are big, and when they are mature and laying eggs. If they aren't pooping a lot, they aren't eating enough to be healthy, either.

Located in San Antonio, Texas. Weather here is never consistent. Lows at this time range from 45-65° and Highs from 60-90°. I have been thinking of transitioning them to the outside, not sure how to go about that.

They can probably be outside at least part of every day, starting immediately. For the first time or two, try to pick a time that's above 50 degrees or so. Make sure they have feed, water, shade from sun, shelter from rain, protection from predators. Check on them sometimes--after the first half hour, then an hour later, that kind of thing. If they're sounding really unhappy, check whether they're too cold (depends on the day's weather) or too hot or whatever. Bring them back inside if needed.

Over a few days' time, they will become more used to the outside temperature, and more happy to spend time outside. When they've spent all day outside for several days, choose a night that's expected to be warm (the high end of the range you listed), and leave them outside that night. The coldest time is just before the sun comes up, so you could get up early the next morning to see how they're doing at that time. If they're fine the first two early mornings outside, they will probably be fine outside forever after.

Other than when they're outside, I would leave them in that brooder all day as well as all night, except when YOU feel like having them out for YOUR pleasure. (Yes, they will make unhappy sounds. Yes, they will spill their feed and water. While they're doing those things, you can be doing the things you need to do.)

Back
Top Bottom