Ducklings Safe with Rest of Flock?

Taylor97

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Texas
This post doesn't quite fit into this category but it was the closest match I could find.

I have a mallard hen in a mixed flock who has just gone broody. Usually, when someone approaches our skittish ducks, they run for it. Yesterday, however, during feeding time she stood her ground in the nestbox, fussing and puffing over her clutch.

I don't have much experience with ducks hatching their own ducklings. I figured, why not? I'll let her have a crack at it.

My main concern is whether or not I should separate her and the ducklings from the others once the brood have hatched. I know that most chicken hens will let a mom and her bitties be, but what about ducks? Are they more aggressive?

Thanks!

That is a good question!

I know some people leave the broody hen with the flock, but then there is the risk that the flock members might kill the chicks. One lady, who had always kept her broody hens with the flock, suddenly had a problem with a young rooster grabbing the baby chicks away from the hen, and killing them.

So.....if your chickens are already a bit antagonistic towards your duck, I am worried that you might have that problem too.

But.....it just depends, do you have a safe place to put your mama duck? Also, some broodies don't mind if you move them, but others will get upset and will stop sitting on the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom