Ducklings suddenly dying

And the two reamining, how are they doing? I found this on a thread that @Texas Kiki did: https://extension.umaine.edu/veterinarylab/tests-pricing/

Call them in the morning and ask to speak with the lead avian pathologist and ask if Maine has seen any cases of duck hepatitis. I suggest this because I believe it's rare in North America.
@casportpony you are like the Yoda of the duck world lol I wouldn't have even known how or where to find that info! I'll definitely call tomorrow and see what I can find out! Thanks a million :)

Oh..almost forgot..the other two are ok. One is doing great. She's actually swimming in the bathtub as we speak. She's been playing and made a complete mess lol the other one isn't doing as well, but he's alive. He had a case of bumblefoot. I tried the whole soaking his feet and antibiotic ointment for about a week and it wasn't getting any better so I youtubed how to cut it out. I believe I got it all. Once I learnt how to wrap his feet better he seems to be doing ok. He's still having a hard time standing..but he's eating and drinking.

Last edited:
@chickens really I just looked it up and it sounds like that could be it. But I can't figure out where they would have gotten it from. Is it a genetic mutation? Could my big ducks have it but not show symptoms and pass it along to the littles? I tried reading a couple articles but they confused me more.

@Quacking ducks check out that duck hepatitis virus. It sounded very similar to what happened to my babies. I'm sorry you lost so many! It really sucks. :(

@Miss Lydia I've never seen or smelt duck poop quite like this before lol but it hasn't changed in a while so I'm gonna go with it haha it weird poop is from the one with bumblefoot. I think he's getting better..very, very, very slowly. Have you ever dealt with bumblefoot? This is my first time. I wasn't sure how long before they start feeling better. My other little one seems to be doing great! She's happy as can be. Especially when she gets to swim in the bathtub. Friggin spoiled duck lol

@casportpony thanks for that list! I'm in Maine and of course there weren't any on the list here...but it was worth a shot! Plus I think all the ones that have passed would be too old and gross to do anything with.

The vet I was told could help me, couldn't. I live in a very rural part of Maine so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but its still very frustrating. My main goal right now is to get my babies better and keep my big ducks happy through the winter and try again in the spring. I'm going to try eggs from ducks that aren't mine and see if that changes anything. If they die too then I give up. I've babied the crap out of the 12 I've had die this summer. It sucks to have such problems! I just wish I knew that caused it all!
Could be from the adults. A blood test of the adults would give you an answer.

@casportpony you are like the Yoda of the duck world lol I wouldn't have even known how or where to find that info! I'll definitely call tomorrow and see what I can find out! Thanks a million :)

Oh..almost forgot..the other two are ok. One is doing great. She's actually swimming in the bathtub as we speak. She's been playing and made a complete mess lol the other one isn't doing as well, but he's alive. He had a case of bumblefoot. I tried the whole soaking his feet and antibiotic ointment for about a week and it wasn't getting any better so I youtubed how to cut it out. I believe I got it all. Once I learnt how to wrap his feet better he seems to be doing ok. He's still having a hard time standing..but he's eating and drinking.
She's the best!! Oh are your adults sick?

Back
Top Bottom