ducklings vs chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cw, Jan 1, 2010.

1. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    what a diffence
    do ducklings ever slow down, (there the most exciting thing) it seems there is always something happening with them
    either there all asleep or all up goin crazy, not like chicks were some will sleep some some wont,
    ducklings seem a lot smarter, and more curious of stuff
    any other differnces some of yall noticed off the bat

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Ducklings are a lot messier....

3. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yea and they try to groom your hand and fingers

4. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    They are cuter than chicks in my opinion.....
    They are soo much more active their first few days...

5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:i agree and they dont crap in there food like chicks, did you let yours swim there first few days?

6. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    My first batch of ducklings swam at around three days old in the tub....my second batch of ducklings didnt want any part of swimming...even when they got older they would just drink out of their pond haha, they are all different

7. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    we got are from metzer in cali, and when they got here we took for there first swim after they settled down and thought it was crazy how they stsarted diveing and swiming just right off.
    they love there warm tub of water
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    awwww!! those swimming babies are soooo cute! im a duck fan, ain't got no chickens. (yes i had to pull out my red-neck side right there [​IMG]) ducklings are just sooo adorable! and even my fun grown ducks always look so puffy and cuddly!!

9. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    dont get me wrong chickens for sure have there spot on the farm, but we sure do enjoy ducklings a lot more cicks

10. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    ducklings are alot cuter, they may be messy. oh yes. but its worth it. I think ducks are smarter, but then again thats my opinion.
    some positives are they love the rain and some even love snow. mine do. chickens (at least ones i've known from relatives and friends) all hate the rain and stand around in it looking pathetic.
    ducks also bathe in ponds, or in most cases kiddie pools! chickens take dust bathes. which i think makes them more prone to skin and scale mites, as they dont like to get wet.
    if you end up with a bunch of drakes instead of roosters you wont hear thier annoying calls.. esp. if theres multiple roosters... eh thats the worst
    either way i think you'll love your new pets... heres a picture of my baby i hatched this year, hes a indian runner duck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by