Ducklings with Cracked Feet...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I picked one of the babies up earlier to hold it for a minute and such and i noticed that the bottom of it's feet were all cracked. I checked the others and same thing, some worse than others.

I've never had this problem before. They're brooded on straw & sometimes pellets. I put some Stall Dry in the other day because of flies though, could the Stall dry be causing the cracked feet?

is there anythign I should do for them? They're not open sores or anything, just very cracked on some.

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    If it's not bleeding, they are probably just dry from the Stall dry. I would mix the stall dry in with your bedding and put a little lotion (one without frangrance) on the cracked spots.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Their feet are just growing. The old skin cracks and peels as the feet grow and new skin takes over.

This is normal and nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I changed the bedding a couple hours ago and didn't put any stall dry in it this time. I have seen the normal peeling/craking skin when they're growing but this is on the pads/heel of their feet and on some of them it looks very deep. There's no bleeding but i was worring about it turning into Bumblefoot or something so i changed the bedding and I will check them in the morning, they get a bath then too so maybe that'll help. If it keeps up i will try a little lotion on them.

5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Maybe vasaline instead of lotion, just so there isn't anything in it that might irritate the cracks.

I would wait and give them a few days until you put anything on them.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    What about adding sunflower or flax or sesame seeds for treats to add a bit of oil into their system. My Scovies like them, normally I give them in the winter. But with this, I would probably give them some now.

I would bath them today, if you think it is the stall dry. Get it off them.

Haven't been following your babies so I don't know, but if the babies are quite young, grind the seeds up a bit.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:I think Terrie gave you a very good answer....mine duckies did the same thing. They are fine and dandy now.

8. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would get something with beeswax in it. I've seen something in the store that comes in a stick form and you just rub it on. Don't remember the name, but I'm sure you can find something. The beeswax will fill the cracks and prevent them from dying out more. It will wear off in a day, but it does last longer then lotion. You are also looking for vitamin e content, which will help heal the cracks. I would also check on bag balm may also be a good thing.

I use only pine shaving on the floor in the duck house. The floor is actually covered with rubber runners from the hardware store. They are textured so nobody slips on it and they can be easily taken out for a wash. I put only enough pine shavings on it as needed to absorb the moisture from their poo. That means some areas will need more and other less. Depends on where your ducks hang around. It usually only a light layer just enough to cover the flooring. I use a kiddie poo scooper to shake it over the area. The pine shavings really absorb the mess and keep the smell down to almost none at all. I clean out the duck house every morning and put the shavings and poo under my shrubs. I leave the floor for the rest of the day so it can completely air out. I later go back in the afternoon and cover it with pine shavings. I know its daily work, but I never get into any unhealthy situations or give germs a chance to multiply and cause issues. Duck poo contains a lot of ammonia, and ammonia will irritate their feet and lungs.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  9. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    My first four Kahkis did the same thing. I used bag balm because it was what we had and made sure they got baths. Never progressed to anything more serious. I atributed it to the brooder being too wet, rather than dry in my situation, even with frequent daily changes, and revamped the way I managed the duckling moisture issue. I agree they should be fine. [​IMG]

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thank you everyone. they're getting a bath today and if the cracks don't clear up in the next day or so(or look better anyway) i will try some vaseline, beeswax or something to keep them moist. I appreciate the help, have had a lot of ducklings but never any with cracked feet like this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by