Ducklings with foot problems. Help?

Does it get swampy in the brooder? I speak from my own experience. It takes a bit of creativity and experience to manage the water - at least it does for most of us.

This is an excellent recommendation! I found it really helpful.

I have two ducklings that their feet look just like this. They are a little over 3 weeks old. I guess my DH noticed it a week ago and never mentioned it to me. When they got their first once overs, they're feet were in perfect condition. They are in a brooder with pine bedding that gets changed daily. Should they get time to walk around the house? Would it be good for their feet? Right now, they get 1-2 baths a day. I'm going to try to give them an Epsom salt soak to see if might soften their callus'/whatever it is. One duckling is worse and her left foot definitely has a soft, but hard squishy bump.
This is all so confusing! I find animal husbandry varies so much from bird to bird, it's almost impossible to diagnose something.
So thanks for the photos and the advice. I love BYC!

Here's a quick update since you're having a similar problem.

I soaked their feet for a couple of days, but it quickly became extremely messy and time consuming with so many ducklings. I decided to just keep an eye on them for a while.

I'm sure they were simply callouses. My ducks still have them (1 year later) and they aren't any better, but they aren't any worse. They're simply rough spots and they don't seem to bother my ducks at all.

They were my first ducklings so I probably overly worried.
smile.png

Does it get swampy in the brooder?  I speak from my own experience.  It takes a bit of creativity and experience to manage the water - at least it does for most of us.

We use a butter tub w/lid for the water, so not so swampy and I am usually changing out the litter every morning. I imagine it's going to get worse in the next few days, since they are growing SO FAST!!!
I have chicks coming in the next week, so I might have to get creative with all my brooder arrangements.

Here's a quick update since you're having a similar problem.

I soaked their feet for a couple of days, but it quickly became extremely messy and time consuming with so many ducklings. I decided to just keep an eye on them for a while.

I'm sure they were simply callouses.  My ducks still have them (1 year later) and they aren't any better, but they aren't any worse. They're simply rough spots and they don't seem to bother my ducks at all.

They were my first ducklings so I probably overly worried. :)

Thanks for the update! These are my first ducks and I'm new to the whole BYC life, in general. I don't want be the rookie that takes a small matter and makes it worse by ignoring a possible issue. I only have two runners, so giving them a soak will be a bit easier.
I'll try it out and that'll give me a chance to keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the update! These are my first ducks and I'm new to the whole BYC life, in general. I don't want be the rookie that takes a small matter and makes it worse by ignoring a possible issue. I only have two runners, so giving them a soak will be a bit easier.
I'll try it out and that'll give me a chance to keep an eye on them.

Good Luck! Hopefully everything will be fine.

I have one runner duck and he's the friendliest of all my ducks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom