Ducklings with foot problems. Help?

They look like what I see in the pictures posted. I see this all the time. I have over 200 waterfowl here and during thee summer this clay is like concrete.

w.
Thanks, but would they start appearing at just 2 weeks old? These ducklings are currently 5 weeks old. I really hope that they are simply callouses. I tried to research them earlier, but I couldn't find very much information.

Do callouses really appear as large, hard, cracked lumps? If so, then I'll go with it. I just never thought of callouses being able to be that bad at such a young age.

I think I'll still try to soak their feet and apply antibiotics and fungal ointments to be on the safe side.

Also, out of curiosity, is there any way to sex the ducklings at this age? I know you can voice sex or wait for drake feathers, but are there any hints at around 5 weeks other than the occasional quack?

Hey Miss Lydia! Good to see you again!!! Should have known it would be ducks that would draw you back into my sphere.
smile.png
Hope all is well in your world!
BG where have you been? Happy to see you!

What do you use for bedding? It may not be bumble foot. Ironically, if they have to stand in muck (especially fecal muck) they will get major sores on their feet. They need clean dry bedding for a bit, if that's the case.

Well do you think they could be calluses from the dry air? I tend to see my chickens with dry cracked feet in the cold and some develop calluses that look just like the things on the duck feet. Or maby it could just be a corn.

It looks like [COLOR=000000]callouses to me. A fungal med would not hurt anything to be sure.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Walt[/COLOR]
My experience with bumblefoot is that you don't necessarily have to cut anything. I agree we don't know exactly what it is. It could be viral, bacterial, or fungal. I know that anything you have to do to everyone's feet will be time consuming. At the same time, if you can spend some extra time to get rid of it without doing more harm than good, that's a good thing. Epsom salts is said to be both antibacterial and antifungal. It is also quite the laxative, so you don't want them ingesting it. I would take a deep breath and put 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts in a small sink - with the drain closed - (bathroom sink size) so that I could avoid too much squatting and bending, add a pint of warm water to the sink, just enough to dissolve the Es. And I would gently, carefully hold the duckling and let it splash its little feet in the Es for three to five minutes, wipe the feet off with a damp washcloth. I would follow that up with a dab of triple antibiotic ointment on the bad spot, then put baby back in the brooder and pick up the next little one till I had treated everyone. That would be about 6 to 8 minutes per duck, and I would do it twice a day. I would also be sure to change out the bedding a little more frequently to reduce the amount of spores or bacteria in the bedding.
This is an excellent recommendation! I found it really helpful.
Here are 2 other pictures that turned out fairly clear. The rest are too blurry to see anything. I'll try to take more tonight. This foot isn't as bad, but it still has the hard lump with cracks on top. This duck has a hard lump with cracks on the middle of her middle toe. Hers is pretty mild compared to some of the others.
I have two ducklings that their feet look just like this. They are a little over 3 weeks old. I guess my DH noticed it a week ago and never mentioned it to me. When they got their first once overs, they're feet were in perfect condition. They are in a brooder with pine bedding that gets changed daily. Should they get time to walk around the house? Would it be good for their feet? Right now, they get 1-2 baths a day. I'm going to try to give them an Epsom salt soak to see if might soften their callus'/whatever it is. One duckling is worse and her left foot definitely has a soft, but hard squishy bump. This is all so confusing! I find animal husbandry varies so much from bird to bird, it's almost impossible to diagnose something. So thanks for the photos and the advice. I love BYC!

How big is their brooder?

I used to let mine run up and down the hallway while I did brooder cleanup ( I referred to myself as their charwoman). It was hardwood flooring, and I had a sheet over half of it to help with cleanup. Half better than nothing, I figured.

Epsom salt a good idea, remember it is a laxative, do not let them swim in it, or drink it, use a small container and stand them in it (the Miss Lydia approach) or soak clean rags and wrap those precious little feet and legs for several minutes.

How big is their brooder?

I used to let mine run up and down the hallway while I did brooder cleanup ( I referred to myself as their charwoman).  It was hardwood flooring, and I had a sheet over half of it to help with cleanup.  Half better than nothing, I figured.

Epsom salt a good idea, remember it is a laxative, do not let them swim in it, or drink it, use a small container and stand them in it (the Miss Lydia approach) or soak clean rags and wrap those precious little feet and legs for several minutes.

It's a huge storage tote. I'd say 3x4 ft? Not sure, off hand. I went ahead and moved their food and water up against the "wall" on the end further from the light that way they have more space to walk, without traversing the good dishes.

Back
Top Bottom