Ducklings

RainValleyFarm

Songster
Mar 4, 2021
Lexington Kentucky
I’m really nervous about my ducklings. If I end up with one male and one female is that still safe with chickens around? I’m hoping for two females.
Any tips on sexing at this point? Or just have to wait it out?
American pekin and a mallard

Attachments

• 70CA25FA-343D-416A-B42A-8374C11F98D8.jpeg
    70CA25FA-343D-416A-B42A-8374C11F98D8.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 19
:welcome and good luck with your ducklings. A one on one situation may work, or it may not. I'd be concerned about over mating especially if the crested duckling is a hen. Two drakes in a chicken flock is a recipe for disaster. Vent sexing is the only way of telling gender at this age.

:welcome and good luck with your ducklings. A one on one situation may work, or it may not. I'd be concerned about over mating especially if the crested duckling is a hen. Two drakes in a chicken flock is a recipe for disaster. Vent sexing is the only way of telling gender at this age.
Thank you. I suppose I will be waiting it out. I had a crested mallard and pekin duck back in 2013. My mallard was a female and I suppose my pekin was too because I had never seen them mate. I was young when I had them and haven’t had any birds since and didn’t realize until I got them and was informed by a few people that mixing chickens and ducks can be dangerous if they are males

I agree two males already killed my female petkin!!

Back
Top Bottom