Ducklings

runningkaren

Chirping
13 Years
May 13, 2008
South Central PA
Typical story just looking for advice. I have 14 female Runner ducks, 1 female Mallard and 2 Pekins (1 male and 1 female). I thought I lost one of the Runners 3 weeks ago but, lo and behold, she reappeared yesterday with 2 ducklings.
My ducks all go in a hut at night for protection, so I put her and her 2 ducklings in a separate space and still have them in it today. I am in a debate about the best way to let her raise them, yet protect all of the from snapping turtles and other
predators. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has gone through this. I assume these are Runner/Pekin crossbreeds!

Well, congratulations!

I haven't had that experience yet - no drakes so far.

But I'm very interested in hearing from folk who've managed this.

Next year I'm thinking I'd like a few ducklings to add to the flock . . . haven't figured out if it's going to be by adding a drake, seeing if my broodies will hatch fertile eggs, or just buy ducklings. I'm leaning toward the latter.

That's what I always did in the past. The Pekin drake was a rescue and I always managed to gather all the eggs in the past. Apparently I failed this time! I have kept them inside all day with a waterer and crumbles for the ducklings and a bucket and pellets for the mother. All okay so far.

Back
Top Bottom