Ducks about to hatch

SupermarketDuck

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
Hi everyone! I was on here a year ago, and everyone was super helpful. I bought some supermarket duck eggs, got one to hatching but sadly he died after externally pipping as a blood vessel bled out.

This year we're at it again, and from 2 boxes of eggs from Morrisons, we now have 7 eggs pipped and ready to hatch! It's so exciting and they're SO noisy :)

We have the brooder set up, in a plastic sand pit/paddling pool. I've just put the feed together, which is unmedicated chicken and waterfowl starter crumb with some brewer's yeast and some mixed grit. The grit looks rather large, will they be ok? And do you wet this or leave it dry for freshly hatched duckies?

Anything else I need? I've set up the brooder after watching and reading lots online and on here, and we have water in a non-tip bowl on a tray and unmedicated straw for bedding. Heat lamps, of course. Anything else I need?

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I was on here a year ago, and everyone was super helpful. I bought some supermarket duck eggs, got one to hatching but sadly he died after externally pipping as a blood vessel bled out.

This year we're at it again, and from 2 boxes of eggs from Morrisons, we now have 7 eggs pipped and ready to hatch! It's so exciting and they're SO noisy :)

We have the brooder set up, in a plastic sand pit/paddling pool. I've just put the feed together, which is unmedicated chicken and waterfowl starter crumb with some brewer's yeast and some mixed grit. The grit looks rather large, will they be ok? And do you wet this or leave it dry for freshly hatched duckies?

Anything else I need? I've set up the brooder after watching and reading lots online and on here, and we have water in a non-tip bowl on a tray and unmedicated straw for bedding. Heat lamps, of course. Anything else I need?

Thanks!
I cant wait for some to hatch!! I dont know alot about ducks but they are cute!!

Thank you for replies! Ok, chick grit! Thank you for that. I shall get some.

No sorry, the pool isn't full of water! I wouldn't do that. It's an empty pool that we're just using as a brooder, with hay in the bottom and heat lamps above. Plastic seemed easy to clean and with high sides!

How big is the pool? Be careful not to underestimate how quickly ducklings grow. I made the mistake recently when starting my flock of 10. Eventually had to clean out the laundry room for the extra space, which was a pretty big pain. Definitely would have started them off in something bigger given the chance again.

Thank you for replies! Ok, chick grit! Thank you for that. I shall get some.

No sorry, the pool isn't full of water! I wouldn't do that. It's an empty pool that we're just using as a brooder, with hay in the bottom and heat lamps above. Plastic seemed easy to clean and with high sides!
Gotcha! Keep us posted on the hatch and please post pictures! :fl

Last edited:
How big is the pool? Be careful not to underestimate how quickly ducklings grow. I made the mistake recently when starting my flock of 10. Eventually had to clean out the laundry room for the extra space, which was a pretty big pain. Definitely would have started them off in something bigger given the chance again.

It's huge!! It's taking up most of the spare bedroom so I think it'll be ok. If not, it's one of those sandpits that comes with a lid the same shape, so we can split them between the two if necessary.

One of the ducks has externally pipped, but at the smaller end of the egg and seems to be rolling around a lot but not doing a whole lot more. Is there more of a risk with this one?

Back
Top Bottom