Ducks afraid of new food dish

jgell

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Avondale
Until a couple of days ago I would put a bowl of food and a gallon of water in the duck pen and then walk over to the pond and yell, "Let's go ducks," and the ducks would come running. Well, the ducks have been getting bigger and eating more so I bought a new bowl. The new bowl is white and the old bowl is purple, how was I suppposed to know this would be a major problem. So I did my thing with the new bowl full of food in the pen and the ducks came running and then the lead duck came to a dead stop at the door. The other ducks plowed into the back of each other and there was a big pile up just a few inches from the pen door. Knowing that if they don't go in on the first try I would be spending the next hour chasing ducks I quickly stepped in and shoved everybody in the pen. Instead of diving into the bowl and gobbling up their food they all stood around discussing the matter for about 5 minutes before one brave sole ate from the new bowl. Then it was business as usual and I thought the crisis was over. I was wrong. The next night I used the new bowl and some of the ducks picked up on this from a distance and I only got half in the pen. So I had to chase ducks and everybody got stressed out but I eventually got everybody inside. I decided to leave them in the pen for a couple of days using the old bowl for all feeding. Yesterday I let them out and wasn't able to get a single duck into the pen last night, even with using the old bowl. So they went 48 hours without being feed (plenty of natural food around so they aren't starved). Tonight they didn't want to get near the pen, I think I have made them afraid of it. I reinforced their fear by chasing them around and into the pen, some needed to be grabbed and thrown in the pen but everybody is locked up and safe. My plan is to get 50' of poultry wire and make a run for them and re-train them to go back into the pen at night. They aren't going to be happy when they realize they can't get to the pond and I am sure the turkeys are going to be teasing them. Anybody have any suggestions on how to reverse this behavior?

Try using even better treats, like peas, to get them in the pen. Also, feed them treats near the new 'scary bowl' outside the pen to get them used to that bowl.

Fencing off an area is a good idea - once they get used to all the changes you can remove it. I think your re-training plan sounds good and it is likely to work (especially with peas!!!).

Your description of the duck pile-up was funny.
lol.png

I will try some peas. I have been using watermelon as treats.

The pile up was just like something you would see on the highway. 9 ducks running 2 by 2 at full speed and then the leader slammed on the brakes. It wasn't pretty.

My duck really got upset when I was making some changes to the door of their pen. Luckily it was my pekin because we can pick her up at anytime. It took her a few days to get use to it millworms couldn't even bribe her inside. I think you would of had better luck locking them up with the new food bowl for a few days instead of the old one.

My mallards would have times when they were harder to get in the coop at night. They really can't be bribed with food. We use to give our pekin millworms to get her in the coop so we would have time to herd the mallards in and they had no interest at all in treats. Have you tried herding them? Some people use a long pole, we just use out stretched arms.

I don't want to jinks it but the last couple weeks I can watch in the evening and the mallards will fall in line behind our pekin and go straight for the coop. I can just get behind them and close the door.

I herd them when I can. Once they are out of the pen they have access to 5 acres and which has a 3/4 of an acre pond. The night they wouldn't go in they didn't even come off the pond. There was no herding going to happen that night.

I have built a 120 square foot duck run for them so they will be easier to manage. Now to re-train them to go in the pen at feeding time.

Use both bowls together...that seems to work well for me. Whenever I have a new dish to begin using, I use the new and the old beside eachother for a few days. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for this info. I changed bowls without knowing and for 2 days they have been so afraid of their pen. When I told my husband I thought it was the new bowl he thought I was crazy. After reading this we realize it's exactly how our 9 ducks are acting

Back
Top Bottom