Ducks; Ancona or Magpie ?

I LOVE my magpie hen! She has a lot of personality as well as is the BEST broody I have! But on the other hand I REALLy want some anconas. My magpie lays some really nice large white eggs as well.

I personally love the Anconas.. very sweet, good eggs, good meat, good temper, good size. Very durable little guys.

I ordered duckling last summer to arrive this Spring (they came last week!). And I tell you what, I entered "magpie" on the order form and crossed it out and replaced it with "ancona" and then crossed that out and replaced it with "magpie" about four times. Then I took it up to the mailbox and came back down. And then went out to the mailbox and crossed out "ancona" and replaced it with "magpie." And in the end, it was only the mail truck coming that stopped me changing my mind again.

I ended up with magpies. LOL

And they are absolutely precious, and I think I'm glad I went that route. They're not as large as anconas, which is good for me because I also have Runners which are small birds. Also, they are supposed to be almost as good at laying as Runners are, which is a big plus. And they are ADORABLE.

On the other hand, I'd probably love anconas if that's what I had.

So, write one down, cross it out, and fill in something else. Eventually, the mail truck will come or your spouse will tell you your computer time is up for the day and you'll just take whichever comes. I'm sure you'll be happy with either. Or, order several of each and see what you love. An excuse to order more ducks!!

smile.png

Thanks so much for your replys , they are very helpfull and some very humerous (lol)

Anyone have pics of their Magpies or Anconas that they could share here ?

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
We are neighbors (lol) , i live just down the road near Andalusia/Opp area . I had just noticed that you lived near 231 (south of Montgomery?) . I've probably came right by your place before coming thru Montgomery .

Your Magpies are beautiful !!! any forsale ?
Thanks ,
Shannon nelson

Quote:

I personally like my Anconas better. In my experience, they are quieter, less flighty, better layers than Magpies. Plus, they are a bit heavier, so they are more of an all purpose duck.

As for markings- do you want to show? showing magpies results in alot more selection, IMO, than Anconas, only because Anconas dont have a "set" pattern. Anconas can pretty much determine markings at 1 day old, where magpies it is really a matter of wait and see. Sure, you can see the color, but I have seen perfectly marked ducklings have messed up adult plumage. I have not seen that as much with Anconas. I just liked the look of Anconas overall more than Magpies. If the magpie was a little bit more sturdy looking, I might like the look better. Every Magpie I have seen just looks so scrawny compared to the sturdy all purpose Anconas!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom