Ducks and cat-food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WannaBeHillBilly, Jun 17, 2019.

1. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Mine go nuts for these:
    friskies_1.png

Miss Lydia and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I mix cat food into my Muscovy's feed when I'm growing them out. I just buy whatever is cheapest.

3. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Enabler

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Thank you very much! That will help me the next time i am standing confused in front of a 3 mile long cat food shelf…

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Just grab what ever is cheapest, ducks don't care.

5. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Quackadelic

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Don't feel alone there bud. I've had 2 cats for years, and still don't know what to get them. :he:he:he
    My cats are spoiled according to my wife. Not exactly the words I personally use to describe them :duc, but spoiled gets the point across.

As others have said though, ducks don't give a squirt of turds. I had a spoilage of feed this weekend, and supplemented the ducks with cat food. We don't have kitten kibbles (as suggested above) so I just threw them in a blender and chopped them up some. They loved it. I think it would work great as a treat, and for sure much cheaper than meal worms.

WannaBeHillBilly and casportpony like this.
  6. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Songster

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    We get the Abound salmon & brown rice cat food at Kroger, it's small round kibbles and our ducks like it. Didn't feel quite right feeding them any chicken flavor, haha.
    They like the koi food that we feed to our outside goldfish as a treat as well.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

My ducks and chickens like dry dog food I get Members Mark Salmon and Peas an mostly give when in molt and in winter but sometimes I give them at other times. This is what my dogs eat I don’t have cats.

WannaBeHillBilly and Trimurtisan like this.
  8. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Enabler

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Does the fish content of the cat food changes the smell of the eggs?
    I remember when the first "modern" supermarket in my home town opened decades ago (Aldi) my mom bought chicken eggs there instead on the farmers market and the boiled eggs had a fishy smell. We later learned that the battery chickens were fed with a diet made out of fish-meal.

9. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Enabler

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    My ducks are spoiled too! - My wife always complains that i give them too many treats and snacks - yet she just came back in after giving them a handfull of worms… :lol:

Trimurtisan and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Never noticed a fish smell from the salmon an Pea.

Trimurtisan and WannaBeHillBilly like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: