ducks and chickens in same coop for eggs: COOP Question

Mountain Wampus

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
While building my coop ( as soon as snow allows ) do I need to do something different for my ducks egg laying needs? Cayuga ducks to be specific. Will they use nesting boxes just like the chickens or ?

I was wondering the same thing. Was hoping to have it built already until we got another blizzard here. Looking at coop designs here and peoples pictures for chicken coops. I Have one chick and one duck that a friend gave me. Can a duck walk up a ramp okay everynight?

Well as far as i know Ducks lay on the ground in their own nest. (Far as i know) So if so, then maybe if the next boxes are low enough your ducks can nest in there as well...But then again they might take to sleeping in there, that wouldn't be good. If they didn't sleep i n the nest boxes i wouldn't see a problem, i am sure someone on here who has both together in the same coop will know more then i do.

I keep ducks and chickens in the same coop. My nest boxes are elevated about a foot and a half off the floor, and my ducks still manage to get in their and lay their eggs. It is better to keep it that way, or else if it's on the floor, chickens like to go i and scratch it all up( I learned from experience). my nest boxes were originally meant for chickens, so they are not big, but my Pekin and Muscovy ducks (big heavy breeds) still fit inside comfortably. Ideally though, you want it to be about twice the size of the duck. They don't not sleep in there at all, one of my Muscovy ducks tried to, but I put her out so she wouldn't start getting into that habit.

Back
Top Bottom