Ducks and chickens Interbreeding?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
So I want to get y’all take on this… I have several duck hens and 1 duck drake and I also have several chicken hens in with my ducks but I have no rooster…. I was using some of my chicken eggs in baking today and 1 one the chicken eggs looked fertilized. Is it possible that my drake is mating with some of my chicken hens?

Pic of the fertilized(?) yolk?

Do they free range or in some way have access to a free range male from a neighbor?
I forgot to take a picture.

They do free range with supervision in the yard while I do the chores. some Neighbors do have chickens but they are not free range and I have never seen any chickens besides my own chickens in my yard.

Chickens and ducks can't interbreed, too far apart on the evolutionary tree to produce anything. Sometimes non fertilized eggs blastodisc can be mistaken for a fertilized blastoderm.

As nuthatched said if he were breeding your chickens you would know. they can cause some serious damage since ducks reproductive anatomy is very different than a rooster, being they have a specialized spiral "appendage" and rooster lack one all together. personally I would find him some female ducks ASAP or separate him before he does do damage to one of your hens, or worse

^^^ Good posts above..
:goodpost::goodpost:

I have ducks and hens as well. Yes, its possible a drake will try and mate one of your chicken hens. It does not end well, the chicken ends up injured more likely than not, and no, they can't crossbreed. You can't even get a mule or a liger from it.

Those parts don't fit together, mechanically or genetically.

Chickens and ducks can't interbreed, too far apart on the evolutionary tree to produce anything. Sometimes non fertilized eggs blastodisc can be mistaken for a fertilized blastoderm.

As nuthatched said if he were breeding your chickens you would know. they can cause some serious damage since ducks reproductive anatomy is very different than a rooster, being they have a specialized spiral "appendage" and rooster lack one all together. personally I would find him some female ducks ASAP or separate him before he does do damage to one of your hens, or worse
He has 11 female ducks already

^^^ Good posts above..
:goodpost::goodpost:

I have ducks and hens as well. Yes, its possible a drake will try and mate one of your chicken hens. It does not end well, the chicken ends up injured more likely than not, and no, they can't crossbreed. You can't even get a mule or a liger from it.

Those parts don't fit together, mechanically or genetically.
Ok, thank you. I didn’t think so but want to make sure

So I got another egg that looks fertile
46AF5387-C481-4A2C-84CF-FA168CDA99C6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom